I have had an idea - best use of autonomous vehicles

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
akirk

I have had an idea - best use of autonomous vehicles

Postby akirk » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:04 pm

I have had an idea :D (no laughing in the back there!)
If autonomous vehicles are on their way we should enforce a new law such that:

- anyone found driving dangerously / losing their licence due to points / caught drink driving / caught without insurance / etc. should be banned from driving a normal car for ever and only allowed to drive an autonomous car...

- anyone caught hogging the middle lane of the motorway

- anyone caught driving dangerously slowly

- anyone over 70 (subject to either retest / hearing test / reaction test / etc. to continue as normal)

- etc.

with one stroke all dangerous drivers would have their ability to be dangerous removed from them...

Totalitarian dictatorships rule ok :D

Alasdair

TripleS

Re: I have had an idea - best use of autonomous vehicles

Postby TripleS » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:36 pm

Best use of autonomous vehicles?

Building up the levels of materials in scrap yards. :evil:

ChristianAB

Postby ChristianAB » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:46 pm

Pre-programmed bombs.

Obvious.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:30 pm

akirk wrote:nyone over 70 (subject to either retest / hearing test / reaction test / etc. to continue as normal)

- etc.

with one stroke all dangerous drivers would have their ability to be dangerous removed from them...

Ah, hearing tests you say?

Best surrender my licence, obviously my lack of hearing has an adverse effect on my driving... :roll:

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:40 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
akirk wrote:nyone over 70 (subject to either retest / hearing test / reaction test / etc. to continue as normal)

- etc.

Best surrender my licence, obviously my lack of hearing has an adverse effect on my driving... :roll:

yes I think I will stand by that :) not as an attack on you, there is a difference between:
- someone who has a lack of hearing / knows it / recognises it / deals with it
- someone who denies they have hearing issues / refuses to recognise it / doesn't deal with it / makes assumptions based on what they hear being the norm - that can be dangerous...

hope that is fair?

Alasdair

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:30 pm

akirk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:

- etc.

yes I think I will stand by that :) not as an attack on you, there is a difference between:
- someone who has a lack of hearing / knows it / recognises it / deals with it
- someone who denies they have hearing issues / refuses to recognise it / doesn't deal with it / makes assumptions based on what they hear being the norm - that can be dangerous...

hope that is fair?

Alasdair

I can accept that someone who might be going a bit deaf and refuses to acknowledge it could be dangerous, as if their driving has deteriorated too, they'd be less likely to acknowledge it too.

But saying that, last time I checked, I can't think of /anything/ to do with driving which is safety related can be adversely affected by loss of hearing.

The only thing that might be an issue would be the emergency services, but last time I checked, I was usually the first to note the approach of emergency vehicles with flashing lights, as my parents wouldn't notice until they could hear the siren, or the vehicle was close enough that the lights would attract attention anyway.

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:53 pm

difficult to know as I have never been in your situation or vice versa - however I do find that I use hearing for a number of elements of my awareness of what is going on around me - undoubtedly as you have it is possible to compensate - the concern would be drivers who used to use it, no longer do, but see no need to compensate...

Alasdair

fungus

Postby fungus » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:14 pm

akirk wrote:difficult to know as I have never been in your situation or vice versa - however I do find that I use hearing for a number of elements of my awareness of what is going on around me - undoubtedly as you have it is possible to compensate - the concern would be drivers who used to use it, no longer do, but see no need to compensate...

Alasdair

People with the loss of one of their senses usually compensate by developing another sense to a higher degree.

My wifes late uncle was profoundly deaf and had lost an eye in an accident, but his remaining eye was remakebly efficient at spotting things that people with two perfectly healthy eyes would miss.

Nigel.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:51 pm

akirk wrote:difficult to know as I have never been in your situation or vice versa - however I do find that I use hearing for a number of elements of my awareness of what is going on around me - undoubtedly as you have it is possible to compensate - the concern would be drivers who used to use it, no longer do, but see no need to compensate...

Alasdair

I get where you're coming from now.

Apologies, I'm awfully tired and probably shouldn't be allowed on the internet :lol:

waremark

Postby waremark » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:23 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:

Alasdair

I get where you're coming from now.

Apologies, I'm awfully tired and probably shouldn't be allowed on the internet :lol:

No, your intervention was quite appropriate.

Return to “Technology”