nVidia keynote at CES on autonomous driving

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
User avatar
jont-
Posts: 1046
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Location: Flatlands

nVidia keynote at CES on autonomous driving

Postby jont- » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:55 am

It's quite long, but if you're interested in seeing the sorts of technologies now being considered [and baked into your future cars], it covers a lot of ground:
http://live.cnet.com/Event/Nvidia_CES_2 ... nce?Page=0

fungus
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:26 pm
Location: Dorset

Re: nVidia keynote at CES on autonomous driving

Postby fungus » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:56 pm

Argh, being a technophile, I hate the onset of all this autonomous this and automonous that. We will eventually be able to gain no pleasure from developing a skill, because there will be no skills to develope. It's a bit like buying flat packed furniture, even my son can assemble it, but he couldn't saw a peice of wood straight, or plane it flat, or cut a dovetail joint with a tenon saw and chisel.

Now I'm not saying that I could cut a doetail, or a mortise and tenon, but I have planed a peice of wood flat and square to within about 1mm with planes that I have flattened and sharpened myself, and I have successfully sharpened my own hand saws and chisels.

The point I am making is that eventually the pleasure to be gained from going out on a good driving road will be lost to all with the exception of those who have managed to hang on to a less technological vehicle.

Nigel.

User avatar
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner
Posts: 1074
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:01 pm
Location: Swindon

Re: nVidia keynote at CES on autonomous driving

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:33 pm

Sharpening things is a most rewarding skill. Have you watched Ray Mears?:



Bloody well works, I tell you. You should see my kitchen knives! :mrgreen:
Nick

waremark
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:23 am

Re: nVidia keynote at CES on autonomous driving

Postby waremark » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:26 am

fungus wrote:Argh, being a technophile, I hate the onset of all this autonomous this and automonous that. We will eventually be able to gain no pleasure from developing a skill, because there will be no skills to develope.

The more important question is how anyone will be able to earn a living when a high proportion of today's jobs are done by machines. Consider for example that no one will be able to be employed as a driver because delivery vehicles, taxis and buses will not need drivers, and we will not have private cars because it will be easier to summon an autonomous pod.

User avatar
StressedDave
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:27 am

Re: nVidia keynote at CES on autonomous driving

Postby StressedDave » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:43 am

All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

User avatar
akirk
Posts: 1500
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:58 pm
Location: Cotswolds

Re: nVidia keynote at CES on autonomous driving

Postby akirk » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:46 am

waremark wrote:
fungus wrote:Argh, being a technophile, I hate the onset of all this autonomous this and automonous that. We will eventually be able to gain no pleasure from developing a skill, because there will be no skills to develope.

The more important question is how anyone will be able to earn a living when a high proportion of today's jobs are done by machines. Consider for example that no one will be able to be employed as a driver because delivery vehicles, taxis and buses will not need drivers, and we will not have private cars because it will be easier to summon an autonomous pod.


isn't that the same discussion though as when computers came in...
probably the same discussion when motor cars came in - what will all the grooms do if horses aren't needed?!

other jobs will be created

Alasdair

User avatar
dvenman
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:28 am

Re: nVidia keynote at CES on autonomous driving

Postby dvenman » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:11 am

Mr C-W

Do you get funny looks when you strop your kitchen knives, or run them along the car window ?

fungus
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:26 pm
Location: Dorset

Re: nVidia keynote at CES on autonomous driving

Postby fungus » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:43 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Sharpening things is a most rewarding skill. Have you watched Ray Mears?:



Bloody well works, I tell you. You should see my kitchen knives! :mrgreen:


I enjoy sharpening things myself.

I've not seen this one before, but similar techniques are used on plane cutters and chisels, and although not necessary, I strop them on a peice of soft leather glued to a flat block of wood primed with aluminium oxide. I also strop on the palm of the hand. As far as kitchen knives are concerned, my wife can ruin the edge on a knife with one cut, by preparing food on a glass preparation board. :evil: :evil: :evil:

This guy gives advice on sharpening many hand tools as well as good demonstrations on woodworking with hand tools which is more rewarding than using machines.

https://paulsellers.com/videos/

akirk wrote:
waremark wrote:
fungus wrote:Argh, being a technophile, I hate the onset of all this autonomous this and automonous that. We will eventually be able to gain no pleasure from developing a skill, because there will be no skills to develope.

The more important question is how anyone will be able to earn a living when a high proportion of today's jobs are done by machines. Consider for example that no one will be able to be employed as a driver because delivery vehicles, taxis and buses will not need drivers, and we will not have private cars because it will be easier to summon an autonomous pod.


isn't that the same discussion though as when computers came in...
probably the same discussion when motor cars came in - what will all the grooms do if horses aren't needed?!

other jobs will be created

Alasdair


What is worying is when robots are given an inteligence level where they could compete with humans for power. Or am I in the realms of science fiction.

Nigel.

WhoseGeneration
Posts: 335
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:02 pm

Re: nVidia keynote at CES on autonomous driving

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:47 pm

akirk wrote:
other jobs will be created

Alasdair


Nope, that is becoming the lesson.


Return to “Technology”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests