Tesla adds autonomous features in software upgrade

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
akirk

Tesla adds autonomous features in software upgrade

Postby akirk » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:05 am

You might not realise it when buying a new car, but the manufacturers might have all sorts of features hidden away...

http://themarketmogul.com/teslas-leader ... version-7/

According to Tesla, in October of last year the automaker started equipping Model S with hardware to allow for the incremental introduction of self-driving technology: a forward radar, a forward-looking camera, 12 long-range ultrasonic sensors positioned to sense 16 feet around the car in every direction at all speeds, and a high-precision digitally-controlled electric assist braking system.

With Tesla Version 7.0 software those tools can now deliver a range of new active safety and convenience features, designed to work in conjunction with the automated driving capabilities already available in Model S. This combined suite of features represents the only fully integrated autopilot system involving four different feedback modules: camera, radar, ultrasonics, and GPS. These mutually reinforcing systems offer realtime data feedback from the Tesla fleet, ensuring that the system is continually learning and improving upon itself. Autopilot allows Model S to steer within a lane, change lanes with the simple tap of a turn signal, and manage speed by using active, traffic-aware cruise control. Digital control of motors, brakes, and steering helps avoid collisions from the front and sides, as well as preventing the car from wandering off the road. The car can also scan for a parking space, alert drivers when one is available, and parallel park on command.

on the surface this sounds great, who would object to life being made easier and all through a simple software upgrade done over the air as you sleep...

but... where might it go?
could you wake up one morning and find that your car's software has changed and you now have restrictions - perhaps the car will physically stop you from exceeding the speed limit? It might tie in to nav systems and simply not allow you on certain routes during rush hour to balance out traffic? what impact will there be in the car / manufacturer / potentially the authorities... having control?

Alasdair

jont-

Re: Tesla adds autonomous features in software upgrade

Postby jont- » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:06 am

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:16 am

ahh missed that - sorry!
Alasdair

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:17 am

akirk wrote:ahh missed that - sorry!
Alasdair

You even replied to it :lol:

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:36 am

jont- wrote:
akirk wrote:ahh missed that - sorry!
Alasdair

You even replied to it :lol:

I know :D I need to work on that memory loss! ...but I keep forgetting to do something about it!

Alasdair

Revian

Postby Revian » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:04 am

akirk wrote:I know :D I need to work on that memory loss! ...but I keep forgetting to do something about it!

Alasdair

Software update 7.02 will deal with that... :D

Ian
Ian

Return to “Technology”