Driving with DSG

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
Horse

Re: Driving with DSG

Postby Horse » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:02 am

Interesting roads though :)

I know Earth location links from Android can be iffy, however:

https://earth.app.goo.gl/tUrV9a

https://earth.app.goo.gl/LqLgXA
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:50 pm

Update.

Hardly had much opportunity to drive it (it's Filly's car) until the last few days.

In 'normal' mode there's a noticeable lag in throttle response, 'sport' (used briefly) mainly seems to hold one gear lower.

There are no paddles on the wheel. Manual changes are initiated by pushing the gear lever sideways, changes by back and forwards. Haven't had a play yet.

It's mainly selecting a suitable gear but has been caught out in a couple of situations. For example holding a lower gear on a downhill.

Changes are mainly smooth, sometimes near imperceptible. One exception was on a very steep uphill single-track, approaching a blind bend. Shifting down to first was lumpy. I went through the same corner a few times, always the same.

Away from the gears, I'd expected a reversing camera, but no. However it has a full set of 360 surround sensors, which adjust depending on likely 'swept path' during reversing (altering with steering changes).

The front sensors were useful when negotiating a 6' 6" width restriction (the Ateca is 6' 1" over the body). The van following stopped.*

* a narrow bridge, unsigned at either end of the lane.

It also has self-park capability, not tried it yet.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:33 pm

"Changes are mainly smooth, sometimes near imperceptible."

That's it's real beauty. It really doesn't matter if it changes mid-corner as there's no loss in drive as the clutches switch. (It does people's head in on Honda motorcycles. Once you trust it, it's not an issue)

Often any 'jerks' are programmed in to replicate the 'feel' of a manual, as a lot of people don't like having no perception of the changes taking place.

For your uphill single track, would taking 1st earlier or holding 2nd manually help?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:16 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:"Changes are mainly smooth, sometimes near imperceptible."

That's it's real beauty. It really doesn't matter if it changes mid-corner as there's no loss in drive as the clutches switch.

Yup. I'm having to work harder, instead, on braking earlier and get on the drive earlier to ensure it's driven from the start of the turn. That, in turn, needs earlier braking, and there's not much engine braking.

If you know Kevin's 'three lines', I'm using that sort of distance.

GTR1400MAN wrote:Often any 'jerks' are programmed in to replicate the 'feel' of a manual, as a lot of people don't like having no perception of the changes taking place.

Didn’t know that.

GTR1400MAN wrote:For your uphill single track, would taking 1st earlier or holding 2nd manually help?

I need to investigate how easy it is to swap between full auto and manual. If it was a simple task (such as twitching a wheel-mounted paddle) to do so, then that would be reasonable. According to the manual, the change from auto to tiptronic can be done while driving. However, rev matching probably couldn't!

In that particular situation it would probably be better to drive the entire ascent in manual. But that requires knowing the road.

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:49 am

Horse wrote:Yup. I'm having to work harder, instead, on braking earlier and get on the drive earlier to ensure it's driven from the start of the turn. That, in turn, needs earlier braking, and there's not much engine braking.

Doesn't need to be earlier, just firmer.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:07 am

jont- wrote:
Horse wrote:That, in turn, needs earlier braking, and there's not much engine braking.

Doesn't need to be earlier, just firmer.

I spent most of Tuesday and 200 miles cross country with a passenger who was in pain from a neck injury. It needed to be earlier, smooth and gentle.

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:51 pm

Interesting. In general my model of good driving involves trying to make all the transitions smooth, but quite happy to use firm braking or acceleration in the middle. On the other hand, in dealing with what I call the 'progress imperative' with IAM Associates, I say:

"Imagine you are taking someone with an injury to hospital - but there is a policeman following you. You want to get there quickly, you don't want to waste time by being stopped for speeding, and you have to be smooth for the sake of your injured passenger."

I don't suggest they will have to keep it up for 200 miles!

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:27 pm

Often, I'll be braking before Filly realises! These days, I prioritise smoothness and maintaining balance.

I was driving my Leon today. It's a 1.4 manual, Ateca is 1.5 auto. In 'normal' mode it was much more responsive than the Ateca even in 'Sport'. Not driven far, but I had to be there briskly but legally.

I'll work it out. But getting the Ateca key away from Filly is difficult - she loves it.

akirk

Postby akirk » Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:12 am

As mentioned above we bought an Ateca a year ago, however ours is the 2.0 petrol and has the paddles, it is very responsive, but that still can make it challenging to drive smoothly - with the f-type it is far more intuitive - the car basically drives as an auto but lets you over-ride with manual mode or paddles, and it does so very smoothly - the Ateca is more abrupt, if you over-ride it the transition is a bit more jerky etc, so there is a degree of acclimatisation and learning to drive the car not just drive if that makes sense… however it can be driven manually on the paddles and is quite fun when you do, but it sounds as though ours is a bit different to the smaller engine version

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:57 am

Thanks for that, useful comparison.

IIRC the bigger engines (probably a simplification!) have a different 'box.

Return to “Technology”