Control Pal

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
Strangely Brown

Re: Control Pal

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed May 16, 2018 11:32 am

Horse wrote:I've taught a couple of learners what JC, Gareth and Hanna showed me, both felt (sic)

I think it's safe to say that if they felt sic then you were doing it wrong.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed May 16, 2018 12:15 pm

Horse wrote:But as a toy, encouraging competitive 'scoring' of G force etc . . . :lol: :racing: :hit:

Can it do vertical G so you can see if you've got air? :mrgreen:

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed May 16, 2018 12:43 pm

Parachutists say "It's not the drop, it's the stop" - perhaps some sort of compression sensor on the suspension?

I suppose you'd need either a 6-axis Pal system or the standard 4-axis system mounted at 90 degrees . . .
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed May 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Horse wrote:Parachutists say "It's not the drop, it's the stop" - perhaps some sort of compression sensor on the suspension?

I suppose you'd need either a 6-axis Pal system or the standard 4-axis system mounted at 90 degrees . . .

The Kwacker uses 6.

"The addition of an IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) enables inertia along 6 DOF (degrees of freedom) to be monitored. Acceleration along longitudinal, transverse and vertical axes, plus roll rate and pitch rate are measured. The yaw rate is calculated by the ECU."
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed May 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Yaw? Blimey! Flat track, speedway and extremely enthusiastic road riding only?

Even with 6-axis, I wonder how the system copes with 'down' not being perpendicular to the road during cornering, as 'seat of the pants' etc. will tell you it's [roughly] in-line with the bike (depending on amount of lean-out/in)?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed May 16, 2018 4:56 pm

Horse wrote:Yaw? Blimey! Flat track, speedway and extremely enthusiastic road riding only?

Even with 6-axis, I wonder how the system copes with 'down' not being perpendicular to the road during cornering, as 'seat of the pants' etc. will tell you it's [roughly] in-line with the bike (depending on amount of lean-out/in)?

Reading some of the descriptions of the tech on the Kawasaki site, it seems to have a bike version of the car world Electronic Stability Control, and uses the cornering ABS (brakes) to influence the bike for smooth transition from corner entry to exit. Sadly when I tested both variants of the bike my speed was off before the corner, and there were no DEEEEEEEEP braking heroics to test how well it functions! :D The nearest I ever get to that world is the occasional slip into old bad habits of adding some back brake to tighten the turn in, but both bikes handled so well with the slightest of steering input that it was never necessary.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Return to “Technology”