Phone use (again )

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
jont-

Re: Phone use (again )

Postby jont- » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:33 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:Multi-talking is a myth; humans cannot concentrate on more that one thing a time. It may look like they can but in reality they are just switching attention, very effectively, but that is all that it is. It is time-slicing and some people are much better at it than others.

Oh dear, were you doing something else while typing that ;)

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:38 pm

jont- wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:Multi-talking is a myth; humans cannot concentrate on more that one thing a time. It may look like they can but in reality they are just switching attention, very effectively, but that is all that it is. It is time-slicing and some people are much better at it than others.

Oh dear, were you doing something else while typing that ;)

I did say some are better at it than others.

Bugger. :(

Ray Mott

Postby Ray Mott » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:54 pm

I understand that you have to be able to use a mobile in a car as a human right but you can be punished for it? Surely the technology exists to inhibit the signal in vehicles and that would be a more practical approach?

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:32 pm

1. Using a mobile phone in a car is not the same thing as using a mobile phone while driving.
2. Where is it ruled that using a mobile phone in a car, whether driving or not, is a human right?
3. Signal jamming would prevent ALL mobile phone use, even the perfectly legal stuff by the car, passengers and yes, the driver when they are not holding it.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:24 am

GPS/route finding, with traffic updates, and streaming music services, or listening to DAB radio, would all be a tad more difficult. Plus it would be challenging to differentiate driver and passenger use, especially of a single phone.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:34 pm

Yesterday, in a town I know very well, and often is frequented by AirBnb tourists.
A group of three or four all looking at their phones, it seemed to me trying to work out where they were (luggage tags indicated the bags at least had not started their journey in Europe).
I asked politely if I could help 'No we're fine was the answer'.
A coffee later and heading home I see the same group, still looking 'Are you sure you don't need help as I live here and may be able to'.
It turned out they did and the address they wanted was a 100 meters from them, which I showed them.
Despite this, as they wandered off, the looking into several phones continued, looking down and not up at their surroundings, which would have given them a clue to their destination (the building they wanted is highly distinctive).

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:38 pm

sussex2 wrote: I asked politely if I could help 'No we're fine was the answer'. It turned out they did and the address they wanted was a 100 meters from them, which I showed them.

What3Words :) https://what3words.com/daring.lion.race

More accurate than satnav or postcodes.

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:02 am

Horse wrote:
sussex2 wrote: I asked politely if I could help 'No we're fine was the answer'. It turned out they did and the address they wanted was a 100 meters from them, which I showed them.

What3Words :) https://what3words.com/daring.lion.race

More accurate than satnav or postcodes.

But don't get used to using it for free since their business model is make it sticky, then start charging :roll:

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:03 am

Didn't know that. But people are fickle, and there's always something new just around the corner. For now, it works.

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:50 am

And more "point" legislation being considered:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50250730

Why bother. Law is always going to lag technology. Just prosecute people for DWDCA and be done.

Return to “In The News”