ADAS testing

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
jont-

ADAS testing

Postby jont- » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:35 am

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopne ... rack-tests
It's nice to see someone starting to test and compare these systems but we're still a long way from having something that just works, and the corner cases suggest it's still not tech that I really want.

vanman

Re: ADAS testing

Postby vanman » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:52 am

Looks like you have a rare thing in this day "a job for life" Perticularly liked the violent search for centre of lane on hill crests and following lead vehicle onto slip road, oh and running into the back of stationary vehicles. Hours of fun and games to just sort those out good luck. ;)

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:55 am

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

Just thought it might be worth a nudge to see what people think of things.

Note: If you want to skip the NordVPN sponsorship it's from 3:50 to 6:00.

vanman

Postby vanman » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:19 am

Breath of fresh air. :cheers:

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:41 pm

I watched the video. He argues that the potential safety benefits of ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) have been wildly exaggerated and that including them in 2023 NCAP safety ratings devalues the ratings. He suggests that if they were going to achieve the promised safety benefits we would already be seeing it in accident casualty figures and he suggests lots of credible reasons why they may not improve safety (slower driver reactions, risk compensation, failure of the systems to address key safety issues).

I have a new BMW in which my first action on starting the car is to turn off the speed limit warning and lane keeping assist systems which come back on each time you start the car. I consider the first unnecessary (I wouldn't want to comment on the record whether I find it annoying) and the second very unpleasant.

In several years of driving with an emergency braking system I have never experienced one operating but I have several times been frightened and distracted by a 'collision alert' warning - never when there was any danger to which I needed to be alerted. I could however be persuaded that these systems are a good thing. Adaptive cruise control does a much less good job of adapting to traffic than I do (someone else posted that they like the JLR system in stop start traffic, mine in a current model is not smooth enough for me to use it).

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:56 pm

I can't remember whether I've posted this before, apologies if I have.

Filly bought a s/h Ateca in May. I was disappointed it didn't have a rear camera, instead just bleepers and 'bars' on a graphic.

Until, a few weeks later, in the depths of Devon, Google Maps took us down a narrow lane (GM didn't arrange white van man to follow us like a trailer).

After a few miles, and without any warning at the start of the lane, we encountered a narrow bridge with steel pillars at each corner.

6' 6" width.

The graphic was showing orange bars on the nside and red on the oside.

White van man turned around.

I checked later, the Ateca is just over 6' across the wheel arches. Without the sensors, Filly would have been on foot to guide me through :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:44 pm

The only time I have experienced "assisted" braking was in a W202 Mercedes I owned. It was intended to "assist" the driver in an emergency situation because, apparently, most drivers don't press the pedal hard enough in an emergency. The problem is that it worked by judging the time from off-gas to on-brake so if you momentarily get "surprised" by something and move from gas to brake very quickly, but realise that it's not really a problem after all and don't actually brake hard... well, tough. The car will "help" you and slam the brakes on. It scares the beejeezus out of you.

Current car has [potential] collision detection, warning and AEB. Can't remember what speed it works up to but the detection and warning is annoying. There is one place where the road bends almost 90º right but there is a driveway straight ahead and nearly always has a car on it. My car always thinks that I am about to drive into the parked car rather than go round the bend so the dashboard goes bananas for a few seconds.

Have to say the the rear cross traffic alert is handy, even if it does seem to pick up pretty much anything moving anywhere near the car.

Lane keeping is awful. It sort of works, in a weavy sort of way, but not if the road is wet. The good thing is that I can switch it on or off and it is remembered across starts.

Radar cruise is OK but, as Mark says, it is too late to adapt and slow and also too harsh to pick up when clear. I can drive much more smoothly myself. I can also get much better fuel economy without it.

There is a follow up video for anyone interested in what he was saying about the mobile crash test rig problem.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:30 pm

My take on car tech.

My old 'moon bug' shaped Honda Civic that I had for 10 years was an early adopter of EBA (Emergency Brake Assist). It only activated once during my ownership but it was an 'interesting' moment. I was on a straight piece of 40mph dual c/w when a dog ran out of the hedges ahead of me. I braked hard enough (given the traffic behind me) but the car decide that was not enough and brought the car to an abrupt, ABS activating, stop. I can only image the language in the car behind me. Thankfully that driver was alert and far enough back to not be rear ended.

As well as EBA it had stability control which was a bit a bit too keen to assist. It's the only car I've ever owned that used rear pads/discs ahead of fronts and coated the rear wheels with brake dust when enjoying the B roads.

The replacement Clio RS hooligan 220bhp go-kart had stop/start that I had to disable every engine start, as it was just too intrusive. Nothing else got in the way.

The latest car, a Clio Hybrid, has a radar (but no adaptive cruise! penny pinching). It displays distance, as time, to the car ahead. An eye opener for me as I was often at 1.5 and not the recommended 2 seconds. The radar controls auto-braking. To date it often squawks at me about pedestrians on the pavement in a bend that I am not going to run over, but thankfully it has never actually braked. The lane assist I have turned off (permanently) having tried it and decided it was not fit for purpose, continually tugging at the steering wheel around town and on B roads when avoiding hazards or straightening bends a little. And on duals it tugged more violently unless I indicated for every lane change (drive by numbers).
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:20 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:My take on car tech.
... radar (but no adaptive cruise! penny pinching). It displays distance, as time, to the car ahead. An eye opener for me as I was often at 1.5 and not the recommended 2 seconds. The radar controls auto-braking. To date it often squawks at me about pedestrians on the pavement in a bend that I am not going to run over

It can't be impossible to have the same sort of swept path prediction as reversing cameras display, to assess the radar's output.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:51 am

Lane assist only works well when there are lanes to assist. The vast majority of UK roads do not have clearly marked and defined lanes. And even if the lanes are marked, the markings can become worn or invisible in heavy rain.

Return to “In The News”