ADAS testing

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
Horse

Re: ADAS testing

Postby Horse » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:02 am

Triquet wrote:Lane assist only works well when there are lanes to assist. The vast majority of UK roads do not have clearly marked and defined lanes. And even if the lanes are marked, the markings can become worn or invisible in heavy rain.

Worse after roadworks.

After bridge repair work on the M4, at one point J13>J12 there were two sets of correct lane markings plus about five where narrow lanes had been marked then obscured. In the wet, or low sunlight, it was difficult to discern the correct path by eye.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:42 pm

Possibly a vote in favour of ADAS….

For many years, or decades, I’ve been resigned to the fact that when I slow down for hazards such as pedestrians, or a queue of stationary traffic in the oncoming lane, or even just a speed limit sign, the car behind will often fail to do likewise, leading to unpleasant ‘tailgating’ until I speed up again. Worst offenders have traditionally been high end brands such as Merc, BMW, Audi, etc.

But recently I’ve increasingly found that when I slow down, so does the BMW/Merc/Audi in the mirror, without waiting until physical contact almost occurs. Could this be ADAS in action?

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:06 pm

Or has your car got auto-brake lights? :confused:
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:29 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Or has your car got auto-brake lights? :confused:

Nope.

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:42 pm

Another example…

Today I was driving on a 50mph road that used to be 60mph, and most drivers still treat it a 60.

In the mirror, I saw a modern Merc closing fast, and got the sinking feeling that soon he’d be on my back bumper. But no, he held distance at about 2-3 secs behind me. Could it be some kind of ADAS on board the Merc that prevented him from driving too close?

There’s a series of bends that Invite indulgent driving without breaking the 50 limit, and that often shakes off tailgaters (I try not to hope they’ll land in the ditch). Today was no exception - as I exited the bends the Merc had vanished into the distance, only to repeat as before - charged up behind me at well over the limit, then once within range, held back at a reasonable distance.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:10 pm

Autopilot, or just fancy ADAS misnamed and inappropriately marketed promoted.

Tesla recalls two million cars over Autopilot defect.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67693935

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:51 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:Autopilot, or just fancy ADAS misnamed and inappropriately marketed promoted.

Tesla recalls two million cars over Autopilot defect.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67693935

Tesla and NHTSA have cut a deal in the multi-year Autopilot investigation, leading to a recall outcome. Tesla will strengthen Autopilot driver monitoring to (we hope) mitigate misuse that has been leading to injuries and fatalities. The remedy was released starting December 7th, but the recall notice just came out.

Key quote from Part 573 Safety Recall Report 23V-838 (https://lnkd.in/dRiyFQr9):
"The remedy will incorporate additional controls and alerts to those already existing on affected vehicles to further encourage the driver to adhere to their continuous driving responsibility whenever Autosteer is engaged, which includes keeping their hands on the steering wheel and paying attention to the roadway. Depending on vehicle hardware, the additional controls will include, among others, increasing the prominence of visual alerts on the user interface, simplifying engagement and disengagement of Autosteer, additional checks upon engaging Autosteer and while using the feature outside controlled access highways and when approaching traffic controls, and eventual suspension from Autosteer use if the driver repeatedly fails to demonstrate continuous and sustained driving responsibility while the feature is engaged"

Releasing an OTA update remedy is good to see. Also good is a mention of some sort of geofencing to limit feature activation locations.

Notably missing is retrofitting older vehicles with effective driver monitoring cameras (some don't have cameras at all; many do not have cameras that are effective at night). None of this negates the harm that has been done by the previous, less capable driver monitoring/alert features since the investigation started in August 2021 (and even before that, since the investigation was opened in response to numerous mishaps).

Clearly some of a software update-based recall is going to be a bandaid due to the lack of essential driver monitoring hardware on many of the vehicles. But geofencing is something they should be able to do rigorously that yields a lot of improvement. Hopefully this is a good faith improvement instead of incremental response that their wording suggests and that we've seen in other instances. It remains to be seen where this will fall on the spectrum between recall theater and effective safety improvement. A better sign would be a clear commitment from Tesla to adopt night-capable purpose-built driver monitoring cameras in all new cars (installed where they can see the driver's eyes for gaze tracking), with refits available for older cars that still have substantive life remaining.

Well that, and stopping irresponsible safety-relevant road testing with civilian retail customers instead of trained test drivers. But that's a whole different problem.

(From a LinkedIn post)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:28 am

I'm still curious about driver monitoring as it rolls out. Based on observance of the average driver, it's going to be nagging /a lot/. And customers obviously won't want to be told they're not driving well, so there's a massive tension between what should be done for road safety, and the minimum manufacturers can get away with. That's before you get to the designed in stupidity of touchscreens which require drivers to be distracted to use them :roll:

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:55 pm

jont- wrote:And customers obviously won't want to be told they're not driving well

I’m not sure I agree, when the customer is an average modern driver.

Many, maybe most, of the people I know socially, or as relatives, seem to have no interest whatsoever in whether they are “driving well”. Particularly among newly qualified drivers (I know a couple), they seem to regard driving a bit like my generation regarded smoking - a dirty, unsociable habit, that nobody should be proud of.

As such, average folks may positively welcome a car that tells them they’re not driving well, if it allows them to identify flaws and esp. if they feel that the car can then “overcome” the flaws, without having to enter into degrading conversation (about driving) with friends or colleagues.

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:59 am

Another Bill wrote:
jont- wrote:And customers obviously won't want to be told they're not driving well

I’m not sure I agree, when the customer is an average modern driver.

Many, maybe most, of the people I know socially, or as relatives, seem to have no interest whatsoever in whether they are “driving well”. Particularly among newly qualified drivers (I know a couple), they seem to regard driving a bit like my generation regarded smoking - a dirty, unsociable habit, that nobody should be proud of.

As such, average folks may positively welcome a car that tells them they’re not driving well, if it allows them to identify flaws and esp. if they feel that the car can then “overcome” the flaws, without having to enter into degrading conversation (about driving) with friends or colleagues.

I don't think the technology is that bright. It's just going to tell you to put your phone down/stop fiddling with the touchscreen and look out the windscreen.

Return to “In The News”