ADAS testing

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
Horse

Re: ADAS testing

Postby Horse » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:40 am

jont- wrote:I don't think the technology is that bright. It's just going to tell you to put your phone down/stop fiddling with the touchscreen and look out the windscreen.

You're probably right about what will be fitted to production vehicles.

Potential capabilities are actually far beyond that, including things like drowsiness detection and identifying facial expressions.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:59 pm

Horse wrote: and identifying facial expressions.

Since taking IAM course I’ve definitely got better at relaxing and exchanging a friendly smile with other drivers, sometimes I’m sure, helping to defuse confrontational situations.

But might a more advanced AI analysis catch me out if “gritted teeth” are sometimes detected in my new calm and smiley personality? :D

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:29 am

Weirdly, research with the systems found that under certain circumstances where you would expect an expression of 'shock' or 'fear' there was actually a facial expression that might be interpreted as 'amusement'.

Presumably identifying the 'WTactualF?' moment, a hitherto undocumented element of Surprise & Startle.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

waremark

Postby waremark » Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:21 pm

Slightly away from ADAS but....

I have driven cars which are supposed to have alertness monitoring systems a lot over the years, I frequently feel drowsy at the wheel to the point of having to stop, and have sometimes delayed stopping too long to what I judge to be a state of real danger. I have never experienced a warning from the alertness monitoring system.

What do these systems do?

Return to “In The News”