Pedestrian killed by self driving car.

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
Horse

Re: Pedestrian killed by self driving car.

Postby Horse » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:24 pm

A level 5 fully autonomous vehicle won't have any controls apart however it gets its destination selected. So a driving test for one should be fairly easy . . .
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:53 pm

Perhaps an attitude of 'my car is driving itself so get out of the way' is creeping in.
How I wonder is the hapless pedestrian supposed to distinguish which vehicle is doing what, and when?

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:03 am

sussex2 wrote:Perhaps an attitude of 'my car is driving itself so get out of the way' is creeping in.
How I wonder is the hapless pedestrian supposed to distinguish which vehicle is doing what, and when?

So are you encouraging pedestrians to walk in front of human-controlled cars? ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

ancient

Postby ancient » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:41 am

Horse wrote:
sussex2 wrote:Perhaps an attitude of 'my car is driving itself so get out of the way' is creeping in.

So are you encouraging pedestrians to walk in front of human-controlled cars? ;)

We know that they do, particularly if they are somehow "impaired", which is why we are ready for them to do so and constantly alert for their presence (even on a 70mph dual carriageway last night).

I suspect Uber has trained it's vehicle control to brake if it identifies an obstacle in front, rather than to drive if the road is clear. This obstacle didn't present as anything it recognised (disguised perhaps by combining wheels and feet), so it carried on.

ancient

Postby ancient » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:54 am

Couldn't see the cyclist? Looks like the Uber video was deliberately darkened to excuse their car & driver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XOVxSCG8u0

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:32 am

ancient wrote:Looks like the Uber video was deliberately darkened to excuse their car & driver

That would be enormously stupid in this day and age. I'm no fan of conspiracy theories but it may also be down to the actual camera in use too.

Either way someone died and I'm sure Uber will catch flack for this.

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:35 am

ancient wrote:Couldn't see the cyclist? Looks like the Uber video was deliberately darkened to excuse their car & driver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XOVxSCG8u0

Handheld camera use while driving :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :bash:

ancient

Postby ancient » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:59 am

jont- wrote:
ancient wrote:Couldn't see the cyclist? Looks like the Uber video was deliberately darkened to excuse their car & driver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XOVxSCG8u0

Handheld camera use while driving :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :bash:

Maybe a rival AV ;) - and anyway it's AZ, which is where Uber went due to less restrictions than CA: So it's probably perfectly acceptable there

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:09 pm

Horse wrote:

They will and can at random, they also have the priority in certain situations depending on the place/ country and rules and regs.
It is the attitude of the human who is supposed to be monitoring the vehicle that will answer your question. It could be that some will adopt some sort of thought of priority because they are driving an self driving car 'Can't you see my car is automated'.

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:14 pm

ancient wrote:
jont- wrote:

Maybe a rival AV ;) - and anyway it's AZ, which is where Uber went due to less restrictions than CA: So it's probably perfectly acceptable there

Just because it might be legal doesn't mean it's any less braindead than the AV that caused the original problem :hit:

Return to “In The News”