Pavement parking?

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
crr003

Pavement parking?

Postby crr003 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:20 pm

Innovative concept from Bristol............

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris ... ut-1316584

Good to see someone taking this issue seriously.

jont-

Re: Pavement parking?

Postby jont- » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:29 pm

Fair enough.... if councils can be required to provide sensible amounts of parking :roll: For starters, I'd say a sensible minimum for new developments should have at least one space per bedroom, that should all be accessible in parallel.

waremark

Postby waremark » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:41 pm

jont- wrote:Fair enough.... if councils can be required to provide sensible amounts of parking :roll: For starters, I'd say a sensible minimum for new developments should have at least one space per bedroom, that should all be accessible in parallel.

My son lives in a new build small block in Finsbury Park. Planning permission did not allow any parking spaces in the development and residents are not eligible for residents parking. In his case it achieved its objective - he got rid of his car (unlike the other son who has I think six parking spaces in central London ).

akirk

Postby akirk » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:13 pm

"It’s illegal to drive on the pavement, there’s no excuse to do it. So if you’re not breaking the law your tyres are safe.

may be illegal to drive on the pavement, however anywhere in the country outside London, unless a council has put in appropriate byelaws, then it is legal to park on the pavement...

There are places where it is fine, and places where it is not good, like anything else, sommon sense is needed... but certainly in many areas around here it is absolutely fine to park on the pavement...

Alasdair

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:20 am

crr003 wrote:Innovative concept from Bristol............

I'm not sure about this. Many, particularly learners, may accidentally mount the kerb temporarily when attempting to park on the road. There have been occasions when I have had no choice but to (carefully) temporarily mount a kerb because of bad parking restricting road width or when moving out of the way to provide passage for emergency vehicles. Haven't others had similar experiences. Seems unreasonable if the consequence of having to do this is one or two punctured tyres. What if a car has sustained two puncture in a restricted situation. Even a tow truck could not move them without puncturing their tyres as well! :o

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:42 am

jcochrane wrote:
crr003 wrote:Innovative concept from Bristol............

I'm not sure about this. Many, particularly learners, may accidentally mount the kerb temporarily when attempting to park on the road. There have been occasions when I have had no choice but to (carefully) temporarily mount a kerb because of bad parking restricting road width or when moving out of the way to provide passage for emergency vehicles. Haven't others had similar experiences. Seems unreasonable if the consequence of having to do this is one or two punctured tyres. What if a car has sustained two puncture in a restricted situation. Even a tow truck could not move them without puncturing their tyres as well! :o

It seems a daft and potentially dangerous idea. It is perfectly possible for a driver not to be aware of a defalted tyre.

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:51 am

Not just a puncture these things will remove a whole section of tyre so it a new tyre that's required after it
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:35 am

Will they immobilise a car with run flat tyres?

angus

Postby angus » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:38 am

If only they worked for bicycles on the pavement :twisted:

kfae8959

Postby kfae8959 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:25 pm

These would also rule out the option of putting two wheels on the pavement to clear space for an emergency vehicle in a narrow street.

David

Return to “In The News”