Pavement parking?

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
Horse

Re: Pavement parking?

Postby Horse » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:13 pm

Our residential road has a certain amount of off-street parking, which is pretty good for a road started in the 1930s and completed in the 1950s, so most houses have one vehicle on the road. If they were all to park completely off the pavement, it would be very difficult to get down the centre. Which would be a bit of a bugger for the buses.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

akirk

Postby akirk » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:42 pm

to be fair it does seem as though it is simply one inventor's thoughts, rather than a plan by a council...
Alasdair

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:49 pm

How can it be illegal to drive on the pavement yet legal to park on it? How can you park the car on the pavement unless you drive on it to get there? Does it not stand to reason that if the car is parked on the pavement then it must have been driven on it and is therefore eligible for a ticket?

Pavement parking around here is normal on one side of the road where everyone parks two wheels on where the verges have been tarmac'd over. This leaves the original pavement clear for people, prams, mobility scooters etc... like they should be. Unfortunately there are always those that take the piss and park all four wheels on blocking the whole thing. I would have no problem at all if they needed four new tyres every time they parked.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:52 pm

An addendum to my earlier post: there used grass strips between the pavement and road, on both sides. Many years ago, the council tarmacked to give full width footpaths.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:02 pm

Horse wrote:Our residential road has a certain amount of off-street parking, which is pretty good for a road started in the 1930s and completed in the 1950s, so most houses have one vehicle on the road. If they were all to park completely off the pavement, it would be very difficult to get down the centre. Which would be a bit of a bugger for the buses.

A quick count up on our road (built early 1960s) and I can say that 80% of all houses were built with a driveway and most of those with a garage. Of those that did not have a driveway from new, probably 50% have converted the front garden for parking. The problem with parking around here is that of all those people with driveways and garages, hardly any of them use either. They seem to think that it is better to keep £500 of crap in the garage and >$10k worth of car on the road. Even using the driveway would help but I guess that's just too difficult and it is easier to just pull up on the pavement.

I am absolutely convinced that people are far more selfish today than they were when I started driving. It's all, "convenient for me" now.

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:01 pm

Waldegrave Road in Twickenham has parking spaces marked partially on the road and partially on the pavement, presumably in an attempt to allow parking while leaving enough room for today’s ever wider vehicles to flow freely. One could argue that the pavements could be made narrower but paint is cheaper than roadworks.

akirk

Postby akirk » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:13 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:How can it be illegal to drive on the pavement yet legal to park on it? How can you park the car on the pavement unless you drive on it to get there? Does it not stand to reason that if the car is parked on the pavement then it must have been driven on it and is therefore eligible for a ticket?

you can drive onto to park, but not drive along, so two wheels up to avoid blocking full road / full pavement is generally legal... all four wheels and using the pavement as a road, not legal... easy distinction :)

Alasdair

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:23 pm

akirk wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:How can it be illegal to drive on the pavement yet legal to park on it? How can you park the car on the pavement unless you drive on it to get there? Does it not stand to reason that if the car is parked on the pavement then it must have been driven on it and is therefore eligible for a ticket?

you can drive onto to park, but not drive along, so two wheels up to avoid blocking full road / full pavement is generally legal... all four wheels and using the pavement as a road, not legal... easy distinction :)

Alasdair

Merseyside Police don't agree:
https://www.merseyside.police.uk/advice ... t-parking/

I thought you could drive over a pavement to gain access to a property.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:30 pm

akirk wrote:

Right. So a car that is parked all four wheels on the pavement must have "driven" on it to park.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:33 pm

crr003 wrote:I thought you could drive over a pavement to gain access to a property.

Those places are called "crossovers" and are [normally] accompanied by drop kerbs... at least that is the case round here.

Return to “In The News”