M1 Minibus "Accident"

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
User avatar
jont-
Posts: 1052
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Location: Flatlands

Re: M1 Minibus "Accident"

Postby jont- » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:02 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I do put my hands up and admit to using my phone while stationary at traffic lights or when stuck in traffic jams,

Just be careful here. A chap on another forum I'm on has received an NIP for this. And the evidence was provided by a cyclist using a headcam. (they were stationary at lights in traffic and checking the map on their phone). 6 points, £200 fine.

fungus
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:26 pm
Location: Dorset

Re: M1 Minibus "Accident"

Postby fungus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:48 am

Hence why my phone is switched off when I'm driving, not that I would use it any way. Infuriates the wife, but at least I get some peace and quiet, especially as there are so many nuisance calls these days.

Driving back down the M40 from the NEC on Sunday evening we caught up with an SUV in lane one, with no lights on, being driven 15-20 mph slower than the other traffic, and wandering in its lane. As we passed, giving as wide a berth as possible, it was obvious that the woman driver was texting as my wife said that she was looking at what she presumed was a phone.

Nigel.

ancient
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:03 pm

Re: M1 Minibus "Accident"

Postby ancient » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:49 am

jont- wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I do put my hands up and admit to using my phone while stationary at traffic lights or when stuck in traffic jams,

Just be careful here. A chap on another forum I'm on has received an NIP for this. And the evidence was provided by a cyclist using a headcam. (they were stationary at lights in traffic and checking the map on their phone). 6 points, £200 fine.

With good reason. When sitting at lights, you are most likely in a built-up area. Pedestrians (including very young small ones) are a strong possibility and you need to be alert for them wandering in front of you.
Insanity, how would you feel if you threw that phone down and started forward (all clear ahead through the windscreen) and then heard the screams from the mother who's child had taken three steps from her and under your bonnet? An extreme example, but this is why attention is needed when sitting still in traffic. I have had small children walk in front of the car in similar circumstances and watching mirrors and outside the door needs to be a constant concern when moving a car near VRUs. The blind spots to worry about are not by the door pillars (decently set mirrors show you there), but down below the bonnet.

TheInsanity1234
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Re: M1 Minibus "Accident"

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:49 pm

That's not a scenario that's ever popped into my head as a possibility - so I thank you for pointing it out. I am aware it's rather a stupid habit and try to minimise it by putting my phone on do not disturb and making sure it's not in my pocket when driving. I would say it's not a thing that occurs every time I drive a car, but perhaps 10% of my journeys, I will check my phone quickly when stationary at lights or in traffic. But I am actively trying to reduce that habit.

User avatar
jont-
Posts: 1052
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Location: Flatlands

Re: M1 Minibus "Accident"

Postby jont- » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:07 pm

ancient wrote:Insanity, how would you feel if you threw that phone down and started forward (all clear ahead through the windscreen) and then heard the screams from the mother who's child had taken three steps from her and under your bonnet?.

I'd think the mother had learned an important lesson about, well, actually looking after their bloody offspring. The roads are not a playground. :twisted:

User avatar
Strangely Brown
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:06 pm
Location: Sussex

Re: M1 Minibus "Accident"

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:16 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I will check my phone quickly when stationary at lights or in traffic.


Why? What on earth do you think that you will miss? Is there anything that you look at that *really* cannot wait until you get to the end of your journey? What is it with your generation that they appear completely and utterly incapable of functioning without "checking their phone" every two minutes [FTAOD: rhetorical]. :soap:

I absolutely cannot accept people texting while driving, stationary in traffic or otherwise and consequently I hope you get caught before you do some serious damage... and that's me being charitable. :hit:

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 2041
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: M1 Minibus "Accident"

Postby Horse » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:18 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote: I will check my phone quickly when stationary at lights or in traffic. But I am actively trying to reduce that habit.


And having checked it, what then - will you be tempted to respond? If so, find somewhere to park up to check, or ignore it.

Don't let FOMO worry you - fear of missing out :)
My own views. For better or worse :)

martine
Posts: 731
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:26 am

Re: M1 Minibus "Accident"

Postby martine » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:20 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:That's not a scenario that's ever popped into my head as a possibility - so I thank you for pointing it out. I am aware it's rather a stupid habit and try to minimise it by putting my phone on do not disturb and making sure it's not in my pocket when driving. I would say it's not a thing that occurs every time I drive a car, but perhaps 10% of my journeys, I will check my phone quickly when stationary at lights or in traffic. But I am actively trying to reduce that habit.

Mate...it's not something you need to 'reduce' - it's illegal to touch your phone while driving (stationary or not) - you quite simply, should keep it in your pocket and not be tempted to get it out while driving...end of.

6 points from one mobile phone offence means, as a 'new driver' you lose your licence, revert to being a learner and have to retake your theory and driving test to get it back.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

crr003
Posts: 553
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: M1 Minibus "Accident"

Postby crr003 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:34 pm

martine wrote:....it's illegal to touch your phone while driving (stationary or not) .....

Unless it's in a ...........?

ancient
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:03 pm

Re: M1 Minibus "Accident"

Postby ancient » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:47 pm

jont- wrote:
ancient wrote:Insanity, how would you feel if you threw that phone down and started forward (all clear ahead through the windscreen) and then heard the screams from the mother who's child had taken three steps from her and under your bonnet?.

I'd think the mother had learned an important lesson about, well, actually looking after their bloody offspring. The roads are not a playground. :twisted:

Ahh yes, offspring should be attached on reins, so that car drivers can be inattentive. If you ran over a child, would that really be your reaction?


Return to “In The News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests