M1 Minibus "Accident"

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Re: M1 Minibus "Accident"

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:54 pm

Research <> proof

I, as a passenger, do deliberately pause my conversation when the driver is dealing with anything that might require more of their attention.
As a driver, I will both keep conversations short and pause them when necessary if I need bandwidth that's being taken up by the phone.
The FedEx driver was also on cruise control when he crashed into the back of the minibus. IME this requires greater attention, not lesser, than driving in full manual control.
Nick

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:57 pm

Horse wrote:What does
waremark wrote: notwithstanding the research
mean, that you don't agree, or don't believe it?

One of the times we discussed this previously, it became clear (to me) that some of oft-quoted research didn't use an appropriate model, the resulting conclusions in effect knocking down a straw man.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:49 pm

It doesn't matter what the research says, or how many times it is demonstrated to be a serious problem. Those that do it will always attempt to justify their own actions. It's the same with drink or drug driving. Those that do it always believe that they are, somehow, different and not affected.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:47 pm

Gareth wrote:

One of the times we discussed this previously, it became clear (to me) that some of oft-quoted research didn't use an appropriate model, the resulting conclusions in effect knocking down a straw man.

Methodology won't make any difference to substantially reduced sound quality and inevitable

delay.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:19 am

I am aware of the research and think it likely that most of it has been flawed. I think the nature of the conversation has more effect than the way it is carried out. I don't know passengers who break off when the driver is dealing with complex situations (and anyway what we are concerned with is dealing with the unexpected ) and it can be more difficult to hear back seat passengers than hands free conversations.

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:20 am

Horse wrote:
Gareth wrote:

Methodology won't make any difference to substantially reduced sound quality and inevitable

delay.

Huh? Get a different system.

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:36 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Research <> proof

I, as a passenger, do deliberately pause my conversation when the driver is dealing with anything that might require more of their attention.

To be fair, I was talking about normal passengers, not my driving nerd friends! Some of whom consider that I talk too much when driving or being driven!

I am a private pilot. Radio work is extremely distracting, involving frequent retuning, poor sound quality and exchanging technical information which often needs to be written down. But one copes. The most distracting part of a chatty hands free car phone conversation is initiating it - which is similar to tuning the radio.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:14 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:... and ... are you suggesting I should be permanently aware of what they have on their site?

I watch very little mainstream news and the BBC would not be at the top of the list if I did; you are not alone in being unaware of what they have on their site ;) There are plenty of alternatives.
When I was driving professionally I would also ask passengers (not matter who they were) that if I raised my left hand it was a signal that I needed to concentrate and would require quiet.
It worked sometimes and not others and I sometimes needed to be more firm.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:26 pm

waremark wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Research <> proof

To be fair, I was talking about normal passengers, not my driving nerd friends! Some of whom consider that I talk too much when driving or being driven!

I am a private pilot. Radio work is extremely distracting, involving frequent retuning, poor sound quality and exchanging technical information which often needs to be written down. But one copes. The most distracting part of a chatty hands free car phone conversation is initiating it - which is similar to tuning the radio.

Not only distracting but something casual passengers my not be aware of the importance of.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:10 pm

sussex2 wrote:I watch very little mainstream news and the BBC would not be at the top of the list if I did; you are not alone in being unaware of what they have on their site ;)

I may have heard something about it when it happened, but that was many months ago. It hasn't crossed my consciousness since, hence having to look it up when Angus posted. No big deal, I'm aware I'm not the most current affairs-savvy person around. It doesn't bother me particularly, either.
Nick

Return to “In The News”