M1 Minibus "Accident"

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
angus

Re: M1 Minibus "Accident"

Postby angus » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:59 am

Horse wrote:FWIW, @work we have several GoPro cameras and found that having Bluetooth on severely depleted the batteries.

And I thought my gopro just had a crap battery life

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:19 pm

AFAIK, iOS devices are only "discoverable" when the BT settings are open. Other than that, AFAIK, they only "talk" to paired devices. Naturally, they poll to see if a paired device is within range but, again AFAIK, the power use is negligible. I do not see any meaningful battery life difference with BT off as compared to ON and unconnected.

Anyway, the point is that the extra power use from his leaving BT on pales into insignificance when compared to his normal phone activity and the *huge* benefit that he will get from automatically connecting to the head-unit in the car. Especially if it behaves as he says.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:36 pm

angus wrote:
Horse wrote:FWIW, @work we have several GoPro cameras and found that having Bluetooth on severely depleted the batteries.

And I thought my gopro just had a crap battery life

When I said 'several', that was an understatement, at one point we had about 45 :) from three different variants in their range (buying more as time went on). Battery life does vary enormously between types and is also affected by the weather (cold has a seriously detrimental effect). We usually run them with the additional Bakpak battery installed and anticipate between 1.5 - 3 hours depending on weather and camera type. The video quality setting, IIRC, makes a difference too, but not massively.

Edit, just found this:

Battery Life
The chart below indicates the approximate continuous recording time (hr:min) you can expect when shooting in various video modes using a fully charged battery.
With Wi-Fi Off With Wi-Fi On + Using Wi-Fi Remote With Wi-Fi On + Using GoPro App With Wi-Fi Off + Using Battery BacPac™
Video Mode Estimated Time Estimated Time Estimated Time Estimated Time
4K 15fps 2:00 1:50 1:40 3:05
2.7K 30fps 1:50 1:40 1:30 3:00
1440p 48fps 1:50 1:40 1:30 3:05
1080p 60fps 1:40 1:30 1:20 3:00
1080p 30fps SuperView 1:50 1:40 1:30 3:05
720p 120fps 1:55 1:45 1:35 3:05

And I may have lied - it's wifi not Bluetooth :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:34 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:Seriously? The amount of battery used by an inactive bluetooth facility is so insignificant when compared to powering the screen and 3G/4G data use that you are chasing false economies. Add in the *massive* benefit that as soon as you get in the car and it connects to the head-unit you'll be prevented from messing with texts [your description] then surely it is a no brainer. Turn it on and leave it on.

I don't know about yours, but my iPhone running the latest software, when I leave the bluetooth on, it will NOT last more than a day, beginning with a 90% charge. It'll be down to, say, 25% by 2pm. Without bluetooth on, I notice it will manage to last a good 3 hours longer, thus meaning I can just about eke out a full day out of a 90% charge.

Anyhow, it's not the battery consumption that's a primary concern, (although it is inconvenient having to charge up more often just due to bluetooth attempting to connect with many other devices, and it's easier to justify it with poor battery life), it's the vulnerability to unauthorised access that's my primary concern. There has been a fair amount of research that shows if you have your bluetooth switched on permaently, it increases the opportunity for hackers to break into your devices and manage to steal vital data from your device. Info source here

Now for what it's worth, I don't much fancy having my phone broken into and vital information stolen, just because I have a useful feature built into bluetooth. But, I also don't see the point in having it active all the time. I try to remember to turn it on when I have the car with me, such as this week. The car is parked outside, I have access to it at any time, therefore, bluetooth on. But when it's over at my sister's house, and I have to catch the train over there to be able to get to it, what's the point in leaving my bluetooth on?

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:14 pm

valid points...
I am assuming that your iphone is a slightly older model? my iphone 7 had much better battery life than the 6 I had - the iphone 8 I have now, is better still - I have no issue leaving bluetooth on and still having c. 75% battery by evening - and that is with emails / social media / whatsapp / etc. all pinging onto it all day long...

there is a noticeable issue with older iphones that the batteries do degrade and it is not unknown for them to eventually come down to a couple of hours of power only...

iOS security details here: https://www.apple.com/business/docs/iOS ... _Guide.pdf
latest iOS is security level 4 - there really is no security issue as long as you leave bluetooth as not discoverable anyway...

so, get that battery can be affected, but security is not an issue (and I have worked in IT for 30+ years!)

Alasdair

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:56 pm

akirk wrote:valid points...
I am assuming that your iphone is a slightly older model? my iphone 7 had much better battery life than the 6 I had - the iphone 8 I have now, is better still - I have no issue leaving bluetooth on and still having c. 75% battery by evening - and that is with emails / social media / whatsapp / etc. all pinging onto it all day long...

there is a noticeable issue with older iphones that the batteries do degrade and it is not unknown for them to eventually come down to a couple of hours of power only...

iOS security details here: https://www.apple.com/business/docs/iOS ... _Guide.pdf
latest iOS is security level 4 - there really is no security issue as long as you leave bluetooth as not discoverable anyway...

so, get that battery can be affected, but security is not an issue (and I have worked in IT for 30+ years!)

Alasdair

It's a 7+, purchased in December of 2016. I never was impressed with the battery life on it, a full day out of 90% VS 2 whole days out of my previous Note 3, but there is definitely a significant degrading of battery life when the bluetooth is on. That's with a similar usage profile on both phones, wifi switched on and off as needed, bluetooth switched on and off as needed, location left on almost all the time. I've noticed lately now my phone struggles to last half a day.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:35 pm

I would be taking it into Apple and expecting a new battery then - no way that you should be seeing that with or without bluetooth...

do check first the settings app for what is using battery power in case an app is causing an issue - location apps can eat battery...

I have just checked my iphone 8 - since the last full recharge to 100%
- 49 mins usage
- 5hrs 55mins standby
94% battery left...

Alasdair

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:06 am

I am a heavy user though, so batteries never provide me with a long charge. I think the battery on this phone is significantly smaller than my previous one too.

3,200 mAh for the Note 3 vs 2,900 mAh. Plus my usage will have changed over the course of a year, but my iPhone definitely seems a tad more inefficient than my previous phone. Probably mainly due to a LCD vs a LED screen on my last phone. It's a pain, but that's what I paid my money for!

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:09 am

And there's me thinking that the drunk lorry driver was rightly convicted of death by dangerous, the one who slammed into the back of the minivan should also have been convicted of death by dangerous, and the minivan driver could have (yes, wonderful hindsight) helped himself enormously by either moving onto the hard shoulder or anticipating much earlier what was going on and moving into lane 2 - in which case probably the only fatality would have been the lorry driver on the phone.

But no, I'm now thinking about battery life. Check https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/H ... b%252B47e1

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:22 am

dvenman wrote:But no, I'm now thinking about battery life. Check https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/H ... b%252B47e1

Mophie battery case for £80.

I use a battery case for my Samsung S8. Probably Chinese, cost less than 20, more than doubles the phone's endurance.

Return to “In The News”