M1 Minibus "Accident"

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Re: M1 Minibus "Accident"

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:38 pm

You could turn it off anyway, and be safe from texting accidents for the next 40 years :D

Well done for sticking with the debate. I suspect you'll find it easier than you think to break the habit, now that you've made the commitment. Good luck.
Nick

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:00 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:You're giving me a headache.

I won't turn my phone off, it takes 40 years to turn back on.

But beginning from now, I will ensure my phone is always hidden away so I can't get to it.

Happy?

I don't know. Words are cheap so it depends what "hidden away" actually means in practice. It sounds to me like you need to make sure that you place it somewhere that is inaccessible from the driver's seat. e.g. the boot. How well you succeed in breaking your "habit" depends entirely on how much you *want* to succeed. If you don't make it, then you didn't really want to do it in the first place. Like I said, words are cheap.

FTAOD, I genuinely hope that you do make it. If not, then I hope you get caught before you do any serious damage. Ultimately, it's down to you.

Glovebox? In my bag, somewhere on the rear seat? Or will you not be satisfied until I've purchased a nuclear bunker to pop into the boot and lock my phone away under there with at least 4 different locking mechanisms? (tongue firmly in cheek)

I must admit to wondering why one can't purchase cars with 'phone holders' where you can put your phone into it, and when you turn on the ignition, it then closes and locks until you've stopped and turned the ignition off. I'd find that great, as if I'm in a rush I just throw my phone into the driver's door pocket, or on the passenger seat, so it's kind of easily accessible, but if I could have a hole in the cabin which I could conveniently put my phone into when getting into the car, that'd be great

Really my problem arises when I'm in a rush. If I'm taking it easy and I've got time to put the phone away somewhere, then no problems arise on the journey. But if I'm running late and I just want to get the dog in the car and then fuck off to the next place 10 minutes late, then I just throw the phone somewhere and then oops, here I go picking it up to text someone I'm late when I'm stopped at the next set of traffic lights.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:You could turn it off anyway, and be safe from texting accidents for the next 40 years :D

Well done for sticking with the debate. I suspect you'll find it easier than you think to break the habit, now that you've made the commitment. Good luck.

Nah, in 40 years everyone will probably have a mobile phone surgically implanted into their head meaning they can text and make phone calls everywhere they go :mrgreen:

I could, but equally I dislike the length of time taken for my phone to start up these days, so just try to stick it on do not disturb. If I have bluetooth activated, it automatically blocks all notifications and blocks you from operating the phone while it's connected to the car's bluetooth. Pretty neat feature, and one I use very often (but again this relies on me remembering to actually turn the bluetooth on).

It's very annoying to have people scolding at me and saying things that appear to be very...inflammatory, especially when I have said such things to myself. Kind of makes it seem like the other party thinks I'm stupider than I actually am, which is understandably annoying, but hey, at the end of the day, I am an idiot and I just have to step back and look at what they're saying while removing the personal aspects of what they're saying.

Straying from the topic again, but is linked, I have often wondered what is the legality of those smart watches. A lot can do the same functions as a mobile phone, and plenty of them even allow you to send texts from the watch, or browse you-twit-face, or make phone calls. But technically, they're not a handheld device, they're on the wrist. If they're legal, what's stopping me from strapping my phone to my wrist and claiming it's just a smart watch with a 5.5 inch screen :roll:

fungus

Postby fungus » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:20 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:You're giving me a headache.

I won't turn my phone off, it takes 40 years to turn back on.

But beginning from now, I will ensure my phone is always hidden away so I can't get to it.

Happy?

I don't know. Words are cheap so it depends what "hidden away" actually means in practice. It sounds to me like you need to make sure that you place it somewhere that is inaccessible from the driver's seat. e.g. the boot. How well you succeed in breaking your "habit" depends entirely on how much you *want* to succeed. If you don't make it, then you didn't really want to do it in the first place. Like I said, words are cheap.

FTAOD, I genuinely hope that you do make it. If not, then I hope you get caught before you do any serious damage. Ultimately, it's down to you.

Glovebox? In my bag, somewhere on the rear seat? Or will you not be satisfied until I've purchased a nuclear bunker to pop into the boot and lock my phone away under there with at least 4 different locking mechanisms? (tongue firmly in cheek)

I must admit to wondering why one can't purchase cars with 'phone holders' where you can put your phone into it, and when you turn on the ignition, it then closes and locks until you've stopped and turned the ignition off. I'd find that great, as if I'm in a rush I just throw my phone into the driver's door pocket, or on the passenger seat, so it's kind of easily accessible, but if I could have a hole in the cabin which I could conveniently put my phone into when getting into the car, that'd be great

Really my problem arises when I'm in a rush. If I'm taking it easy and I've got time to put the phone away somewhere, then no problems arise on the journey. But if I'm running late and I just want to get the dog in the car and then fuck off to the next place 10 minutes late, then I just throw the phone somewhere and then oops, here I go picking it up to text someone I'm late when I'm stopped at the next set of traffic lights.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:You could turn it off anyway, and be safe from texting accidents for the next 40 years :D

Nah, in 40 years everyone will probably have a mobile phone surgically implanted into their head meaning they can text and make phone calls everywhere they go :mrgreen:

I could, but equally I dislike the length of time taken for my phone to start up these days, so just try to stick it on do not disturb. If I have bluetooth activated, it automatically blocks all notifications and blocks you from operating the phone while it's connected to the car's bluetooth. Pretty neat feature, and one I use very often (but again this relies on me remembering to actually turn the bluetooth on).

It's very annoying to have people scolding at me and saying things that appear to be very...inflammatory, especially when I have said such things to myself. Kind of makes it seem like the other party thinks I'm stupider than I actually am, which is understandably annoying, but hey, at the end of the day, I am an idiot and I just have to step back and look at what they're saying while removing the personal aspects of what they're saying.

Straying from the topic again, but is linked, I have often wondered what is the legality of those smart watches. A lot can do the same functions as a mobile phone, and plenty of them even allow you to send texts from the watch, or browse you-twit-face, or make phone calls. But technically, they're not a handheld device, they're on the wrist. If they're legal, what's stopping me from strapping my phone to my wrist and claiming it's just a smart watch with a 5.5 inch screen :roll:

The law states that you must be in control of your vehicle at all times, so if you think that you're James Bond and talk on your smart watch, then you could be deemed to be not in control of your vehicle. So technically you are commiting an offence.

Nigel.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:25 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Glovebox? In my bag, somewhere on the rear seat? Or will you not be satisfied until I've purchased a nuclear bunker to pop into the boot and lock my phone away under there with at least 4 different locking mechanisms? (tongue firmly in cheek)

I really don't care what you do with it. I only suggest somewhere inaccessible because you already admit that you are incapable of not reaching for it. Only you can answer whether you would be likely to fish it out of the glovebox or from the back seat. If you're prepared to put it in your bag on the back seat then why not in your bag in the boot? Words are cheap so you have to ask yourself how much you *really* want to break the cycle.

I don't understand why you "have to remember" to switch bluetooth on. If it has the capability of preventing you using the phone while connected then why on earth do you switch it off? It sounds to me like you already have all of the tools that you need at your disposal. You just have to decide to use them.

Tip: Never hurry. Start sooner.

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:56 pm

Am I literally the only one here who chooses to use the phone while driving?

I am mystified by all these people holding phones. Virtually every car seems to come with hands free, and for those that dont Bluetooth ear pieces are cheap

What does the law say about speaking on a watch? I often use my Samsung watch to.answer my phone, though not in any of my cars which have integrated hands free.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:03 pm

fungus wrote:The law states that you must be in control of your vehicle at all times, so if you think that you're James Bond and talk on your smart watch, then you could be deemed to be not in control of your vehicle. So technically you are commiting an offence.

Nigel.

Fair enough!

Strangely Brown wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:Glovebox? In my bag, somewhere on the rear seat? Or will you not be satisfied until I've purchased a nuclear bunker to pop into the boot and lock my phone away under there with at least 4 different locking mechanisms? (tongue firmly in cheek)

I really don't care what you do with it. I only suggest somewhere inaccessible because you already admit that you are incapable of not reaching for it. Only you can answer whether you would be likely to fish it out of the glovebox or from the back seat. If you're prepared to put it in your bag on the back seat then why not in your bag in the boot? Words are cheap so you have to ask yourself how much you *really* want to break the cycle.

It's more a case of out of sight, out of mind thing for me. If I can see it, then I'm likely to reach for it. If I can't see it, I forget it exists and could go for a whole day without it. Hence, I could put it under my bag on the passenger seat, and then it just doesn't bother me.

Strangely Brown wrote:I don't understand why you "have to remember" to switch bluetooth on. If it has the capability of preventing you using the phone while connected then why on earth do you switch it off? It sounds to me like you already have all of the tools that you need at your disposal. You just have to decide to use them.

Tip: Never hurry. Start sooner.

Because when I am without the car for long periods of time, it's a waste of battery having the bluetooth switched on. My car's bluetooth is the only thing I have connected to the phone. Bear in mind, my sister tends to have the car most of the time, so these days my driving is more on a casual weekend basis when I need the car.

"Never hurry. Start sooner."
Always wonderful advice. Always useless when I'm running late :mrgreen:
I do try to not rush when I'm running late, better late than never, all that stuff, but driving while stressed is always a tough one.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:59 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:I don't understand why you "have to remember" to switch bluetooth on. If it has the capability of preventing you using the phone while connected then why on earth do you switch it off?

Because when I am without the car for long periods of time, it's a waste of battery having the bluetooth switched on. My car's bluetooth is the only thing I have connected to the phone. Bear in mind, my sister tends to have the car most of the time, so these days my driving is more on a casual weekend basis when I need the car.

Seriously? The amount of battery used by an inactive bluetooth facility is so insignificant when compared to powering the screen and 3G/4G data use that you are chasing false economies. Add in the *massive* benefit that as soon as you get in the car and it connects to the head-unit you'll be prevented from messing with texts [your description] then surely it is a no brainer. Turn it on and leave it on.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:30 am

FWIW, @work we have several GoPro cameras and found that having Bluetooth on severely depleted the batteries.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:42 am

Always turn my bluetooth and GPS off when not needed. If you are around lots of other bluetooth enabled phones they are always reaching out to each other and eating battery charge.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:51 am

Part of this must depend on whether the phones broadcast their bluetooth identity; if they don't, power consumption is reduced. Recent versions of Android appear to do this anyway, only being visible to other bt devices when the bt settings page is open. Some non-smart phones have a setting to enable or disable visibility.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Return to “In The News”