M1 Minibus "Accident"

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
Strangely Brown

Re: M1 Minibus "Accident"

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:05 pm

That’s not what he said at all, as well you know. What is it with the abdication of responsibility apologetics round here?

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:10 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I will check my phone quickly when stationary at lights or in traffic.

Why? What on earth do you think that you will miss? Is there anything that you look at that *really* cannot wait until you get to the end of your journey? What is it with your generation that they appear completely and utterly incapable of functioning without "checking their phone" every two minutes [FTAOD: rhetorical]. :soap:

I absolutely cannot accept people texting while driving, stationary in traffic or otherwise and consequently I hope you get caught before you do some serious damage... and that's me being charitable. :hit:

- If I see something that's actually important and requires a very quick response, I will then look for the next safe place to pull over to respond, unless it's something like typing a 3 word text. If it's not important, then I carry on. Not sure why that's hard for you to understand. It's no worse than looking at the radio or fiddling with the sat-nav while stationary at the lights/in a queue of cars that's not moved for 2 minutes.

As to the "your generation" comment, I think it's rather rude of you to generalise like that. My respect for you dwindles very fast every time you generalise an entire generation like that. Or should I say "your generation"?

martine wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:That's not a scenario that's ever popped into my head as a possibility - so I thank you for pointing it out. I am aware it's rather a stupid habit and try to minimise it by putting my phone on do not disturb and making sure it's not in my pocket when driving. I would say it's not a thing that occurs every time I drive a car, but perhaps 10% of my journeys, I will check my phone quickly when stationary at lights or in traffic. But I am actively trying to reduce that habit.

Mate...it's not something you need to 'reduce' - it's illegal to touch your phone while driving (stationary or not) - you quite simply, should keep it in your pocket and not be tempted to get it out while driving...end of.

6 points from one mobile phone offence means, as a 'new driver' you lose your licence, revert to being a learner and have to retake your theory and driving test to get it back.

Mate, I've been driving for 3 years in February. The 2 year 6 point maximum passed a year ago for me. Also, it's illegal to break the speed limit, but I'm willing to bet you break the speed limit at least once during every journey. Please don't take the moral high ground.

Also, why is it every time I admit to having bad habits people have a go at me for doing it, when frankly I'm willing to bet you all have bad habits and you all have done offensively stupid shit in your driving careers. You should be pleased that I'm AWARE these are bad habits and that I'm DOING SOMETHING about them.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:19 pm

Except stopping them. I repeat: I hope you get caught, twice, before you do any serious damage.

Rather than attempting to defend your actions, just put the bloody phone away and leave it alone until you finish your journey.
Last edited by Strangely Brown on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fungus

Postby fungus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:23 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:That’s not what he said at all, as well you know. What is it with the abdication of responsibility apologetics round here?

Hear hear.

Nigel.

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:34 pm

It is very easy to be black and white / absolute in our opinions online - and as TheInsanity1234 correctly points out, most on here will break the law at times...
Fair points made and undoubtedly noted...
let's not get personal :)
Alasdair

angus

Postby angus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:39 pm

29196952_1450913025019203_3494967639267082240_o.jpg
29196952_1450913025019203_3494967639267082240_o.jpg (321.65 KiB) Viewed 6931 times

waremark

Postby waremark » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:21 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Also, why is it every time I admit to having bad habits people have a go at me for doing it, when frankly I'm willing to bet you all have bad habits and you all have done offensively stupid shit in your driving careers. You should be pleased that I'm AWARE these are bad habits and that I'm DOING SOMETHING about them.

Will you forgive the ageist generalisation if I say that you are very unusual amongst your generation in the care and responsibility you take towards driving?

And I can tell you that many over 50's share an addiction to phones.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:04 am

akirk wrote:It is very easy to be black and white / absolute in our opinions online - and as TheInsanity1234 correctly points out, most on here will break the law at times...
Fair points made and undoubtedly noted...
let's not get personal :)
Alasdair

Yes, Alasdair, and as you well know there is a huge difference between someone "breaking the law" whilst concentrating and planning to the very best of their ability and "breaking the law" while concentrating on something that has the far side of feck all to do with driving the car. It's not the same thing at all so let's not pretend that it is even close.

Everyone has the right to own a car but the licence to drive it is a privilege that is earned and anyone that is stupid enough to text while driving maybe doesn't deserve theirs.

BTW, it's not personal. I would say the same thing to anyone who texts/bookfaces/bleets while driving. As I said: Just put the bloody phone away and wait until the end of the journey. The world will not end... honestly[*].

[*] Money back if I am wrong.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:19 am

Mobile phone use is by all age ranges. It is at epidemic proportions. From my lofty position on the bike, sitting above the car drivers, we can see the phones in people's laps. It's not just phones but tablets and laptops too. To be honest actual phone calls are at the low end of the safety scale now (but still a danger). Texting, surfing and watching video is at alarming levels. With little risk of prosecution, it will continue to be so. 
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:21 am

Strangely Brown wrote:[*] Money back if I am wrong.

I'm going to bookmark this post in case I need to claim on that!

*smug* ;)
Last edited by Horse on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “In The News”