20 mph limits - safer?

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
crr003

Re: 20 mph limits - safer?

Postby crr003 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:40 pm

Having a little google:

http://www.bristol20mph.co.uk/get-involved/

"Become a Pace Car

Email 20mph@bristol.gov.uk for a free 20mph A Little Bit Slower. A Whole Lot Better car sticker to put in your car window.

By driving at 20mph and displaying the car sticker in your rear windscreen, you will act as a pace car. When people are driving behind you they will see the sticker and understand why you are driving at 20mph."

Wow. Martin/Bristolians - does this actually happen? I wonder how much the stickers cost.

AndyP

Postby AndyP » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:43 pm

I assumed (based upon local experience) that there would be humps or chicanes to reinforce the 20s[quote]

Sorry Angus I was wrong, but down here we call them potholes, trenches, sunken manholes, sunken drain covers, poor road repairs. :twisted:

:lol: :lol:
It is not WHAT you drive, BUT:-- the WAY that you drive it.
It is not HOW fast you drive, BUT:-- HOW you drive fast.

Cheers Andy

martine

Postby martine » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:55 pm

exportmanuk wrote:...Would anyone know if the actual average speeds have increased or decreased since the implementation?

I don't know about the 'BANES' area (Bath and North East Somerset) but Mr. Toad and I are on the consultation panel for the Bristol City Council 20 implementation. The areas have been monitored for up to 3 years now and a report is imminent...ahem, it was imminent in the Summer...and is even more 'imminent' now...we'll see.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

martine

Postby martine » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:56 pm

crr003 wrote:Wow. Martin/Bristolians - does this actually happen? I wonder how much the stickers cost.

I've never seen one.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

martine

Postby martine » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:08 pm

My 'friend' Rod King of '20s plenty' campaign group has posted this link in response to the Bath council report...

https://medium.com/@lewisspurgin/20mph-zones-are-not-causing-more-deaths-37d41e30e297

Seems valid criticism but even if the 20 zones show no KSI change, itis significant considering they are often championed by Rod (and others) as being good for road safety.

The Bristol 20 scheme cost a tidy £2.3m to implement...that's a lot of money for potentially no benefit to road safety. In fairness they claim that lower speeds encourage more cycling and pedestrians but I'm not convinced a tiny decrease in average speeds has this effect. We'll see what their report says and if it can be trusted.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:52 pm

jont-

Postby jont- » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:03 pm

That abstract is so badly worded I'm not even sure if they're pro or anti 20mph limits :?
/oh, it's ABD, so presumably anti 20mph limits.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:30 am

And Ipswich has just implemented a new area of 20 limits. Not a zone this time but a liberal sprinkling of entry signs and repeaters. Lots of opposition but nobody listens to the arguments. Enforce the existing 30 rather than penalise those who observe what is posted. The result? More slow moving congestion while another department of the council tries to come up with solutions for the poor air quality. Arrrrhgggh!
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

StuBeeDoo

Postby StuBeeDoo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:19 pm

I live on a semi-rural road that is currently within a 20mph zone. It is a busy road, particularly in the "rush" hours.

When we moved here nearly 20 years ago, the road past our house had a 30mph limit. Did through traffic take any notice of the limit? NO! After complaints from some of the residents, the Police sent an officer with a hand-held speed camera. ......At morning rush hour. I spoke to him as he was leaving, and he told me that he was wasting his time as no-one was driving at more than 26mph. I told him to come back around the middle of the day, or on an evening. Did anyone try again? NO!
Eight years or so ago, the council installed squeezes at 4 points within a one mile stretch, and pillows in the squeezes, and every couple of hundred yards in-between. Did this reduce the speed of through traffic? Only for a few yards either side of the squeezes. But it did result in a few minor "prangs", which there had never been before.
A couple of years ago, they introduced a 20mph zone. Has it made any difference to the speed of through traffic? NO! But we have had one parked car written-off when it was hit by a speeding car that tried to go through a diminishing gap, and it has got to the point where it's not safe to park on the road unless you want to risk having your car damaged - usually hit-and-run. I was driving near home recently, within the 20 limit, and was overtaken - going over speed pillows - by a car that must have been travelling at more than twice the speed I was.

Several of the neighbours have contacted the council. In every instance the council's response has been a distinct lack of response.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:23 pm

I love a good squeeze in between a couple of pillows...tends to up the pace somewhat amd no speed limit either.

Return to “In The News”