Life sentences

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Re: Life sentences

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:47 am

Gents - please let's keep this on topic and not descend into one on one arguments. Both points of view are understandable and stem from individuals' life experiences. They're just different.

As you were ...
Nick

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:48 pm

Rolyan wrote: But on the walk back to the boat, I made a mental note to count how many good things balanced it. There were dozens, from a smile, to holding a door open, to a car allowing others to cross, to people moving aside. Dozens of random acts of ‘niceness’ that more than balanced the one idiotic stupidity of the cockney rebel, with his sad life and even sadder wife.

Some things in life are bad. But the good massively outweighs, small and large.

I have aprinciple that for every complaining email I write (sounds worse than it is, they're rare ;) ), I write a complimentary one to a deserving cause too.

Oddly, it's the compliments that seem to cause confusion - just not expected I suppose :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

ancient

Postby ancient » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:26 am

jont- wrote:
ancient wrote:No current law requires suspects to take a body-fluids check. The link explains why this is now needed.

I expect one of the various random bits of existing anti-terror legislation could be abused for such a reason, since they're already abused so widely :roll:

Do you think a pissed-up fighty person is really going to think about a change in the law before striking out?

They probably could (but won't because they are not there to protect those on the front line). I support the changes because it is a small step towards protection of some good friends. I would rather see for example, paramedics given the power to restrain people to prevent them harming themselves or others in the area.

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:11 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Gents - please let's keep this on topic and not descend into one on one arguments. Both points of view are understandable and stem from individuals' life experiences. They're just different.

As you were ...

Nick - I don’t think anyone’s descending into one on one arguments, and everything I’ve read has been on topic. It’s the life experiences (missing from so many forums due to over zealous moderation) that make the comments more understandable. We should be encouraging that, not trying to subvert it, especially when it’s done politely and without offence.

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:13 pm

Horse wrote:
Rolyan wrote: But on the walk back to the boat, I made a mental note to count how many good things balanced it. There were dozens, from a smile, to holding a door open, to a car allowing others to cross, to people moving aside. Dozens of random acts of ‘niceness’ that more than balanced the one idiotic stupidity of the cockney rebel, with his sad life and even sadder wife.

Some things in life are bad. But the good massively outweighs, small and large.

I have aprinciple that for every complaining email I write (sounds worse than it is, they're rare ;) ), I write a complimentary one to a deserving cause too.

Oddly, it's the compliments that seem to cause confusion - just not expected I suppose :)

I know people who every time they hear a terrorist outrage reported, or similar ‘bad’ event, make a donation to a charity.

It’s all Yin and Yang really.

Return to “In The News”