Life sentences

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
jont-

Life sentences

Postby jont- » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:17 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41627240

Is tougher sentencing really the answer, or is it actually to put some trafpol back on the roads so people have a fear of being caught as a deterrent?

exportmanuk

Re: Life sentences

Postby exportmanuk » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:00 pm

Nope no deterrent at all. More Trafpol ( properly trained) and better education of the public.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:21 pm

As the courts don't use the powers they have now, what is the point?

Better to have more traff pol on the roads to act as a deterrent before the event.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

RiK

Postby RiK » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:57 pm

Best deterrent against the idiots who use their phones in the car would probably be a mobile phone ban before a driving ban..
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:41 am

I think the idea of more traffic police is a fanciful notion, it isn't going to happen.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:58 am

RiK wrote:Best deterrent against the idiots who use their phones in the car would probably be a mobile phone ban before a driving ban..

How would a mobile phone ban work? i.e. what form would it take that would be, in any way, policeable?

RiK

Postby RiK » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:45 am

Strangely Brown wrote:How would a mobile phone ban work? i.e. what form would it take that would be, in any way, policeable?

Well, I've not actually thought about the practicalities, I was being facetious.
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

titian

Postby titian » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:02 am

You are just chipping away at the tip of the iceberg with a tea spoon, the problem is one of deteriorating attitudes in society, the notion that "I am untouchable, I can do exactly what I want", why?

Parenting - the parents are just as bad in most cases, it's been going on too long and a generation, or two, have grown up without the checks and discipline that we baby boomers were subject to.
School - no respect or fear of authority, no one "in authority" can touch me but if they do I'll ensure that they lose their job
Society at large - tacit acceptance of anti-social behaviour at all levels, lack of courtesy, no respect for rules and regulations etc etc.

Why is it that during virtually every trip from home to office I count three or four, maybe more drivers using hand held mobile phones whilst this morning the yellow revenue collector was parked in the dim early morning light with his camera pointed at a short sharp downhill stretch of 30mph road, clocking the unwary driver who probably is an otherwise law abiding sort of guy!

I have the answers but there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that they would ever be implemented.
Last edited by titian on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:08 am

Depressing as it may seem, I would suspect that mandatory telematics will ultimately be our fate. The technology is there, and doubtless they will be able to check on phone useage as well.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:12 pm

titian wrote: School - no respect or fear of authority, no one "in authority" can touch me but if they do I'll ensure that they lose their job

I suspect you may not know quite how bad that can be. Heard in the playground one morning: "You do what you like, they can't touch you".

That was a parent, dropping off their 7 yr old . . .

[And it's not true, they can touch 'you' and use reasonable restraint etc.]
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “In The News”