Driving Test Changes

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
sussex2

Re: Driving Test Changes

Postby sussex2 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:52 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:That's so they can be taxi drivers and sit there with their ******* headlights on! :evil:

Emergency vehicles likewise.
I understand they may need to be on the 'wrong' side of the road but am dubious they need all their lights on.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:58 am

I remember on my ADI test a long time ago I was asked to 'turn the car around using forward and reverse gears' in a fairly wide road.
Rather than a 3 point turn I did a 2 point (much more efficient) starting with reverse; this was a trick I had learned years earlier.
The examiner gave me a slightly old fashioned look; he just didn't seem to expect anything out of the ordinary.
I'm pleased to see the L Test becoming more intelligent and more in pace with the times.
ps This was in the days when examiners often sported moustaches and sheepskin coats :)

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:02 pm

A sudden jump back into discussion! Apologies for not being around, university takes up a surprising amount of time! The daftest thing is, they actually expect you to do work?! :shock:

sussex2 wrote:I remember on my ADI test a long time ago I was asked to 'turn the car around using forward and reverse gears' in a fairly wide road.
Rather than a 3 point turn I did a 2 point (much more efficient) starting with reverse; this was a trick I had learned years earlier.

I can do a 1 point turn. Other people call it a 'J-turn' :mrgreen:

The one thing that I don't get about the asking the show-me question while on the move is, how does one safely ask that question to a deaf driver while they're driving...?

If the road is relatively quiet, and the hazard density is low (such as a quiet rural dual carriageway), I'd just slow down a bit and then look slightly towards the passenger so I can lipread them. If I'm handling high hazard density areas (such as a town centre or something), I tell them to shut up and let me get on with my driving. It doesn't matter how important the question is, I'd like to arrive at my destination somewhat alive, so that I can deal with the question, rather than trying to deal with the question on the move, and then shortly discovering the question is now irrelevant as I've just run over a small child and will spend the rest of my life in prison. :mrgreen:

However, I suspect either telling the examiner to shut up, or taking my eyes off the road for a lengthy period of time so that I can lipread the examiner, will both be frowned upon by said examiner. This, I suspect, means the question will have to be asked before the test begins (exactly how it is done at the time of posting), or they will have to ask the student the question BEFORE they begin the independent part of the test, which means the student may forget to actually perform the appropriate action during the independent part (due to being preoccupied with keeping their vehicle almost wholly on the black stuff on the ground, at a minimum), which could cost them marks.

Speaking of the driving test, I've just realised I've been a fully licensed driver for 2 years and 2 months. :mrgreen:

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:40 pm

good to see you posting - hope uni is going well!
yes, I think you are right - best keeping your eyes on the road - however I suspect that not all changes are considered thoroughly as to how they affect all drivers / potential drivers...

Alasdair

crr003

Postby crr003 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:05 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:...

Show me/tell me while driving ... a confident (mature/older) person would have the confidence to say "Wait until I'm stopped, I'm concentrating on my driving".

Calm down dear, stopping's not really an option on a motorway for example:

DVSA wrote:‘Show me’ questions
When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clean the rear windscreen?
When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clean the front windscreen?
When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d switch on your dipped headlights?
When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d set the rear demister?
When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d operate the horn?
When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d demist the front windscreen?
When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d open and close the side window?

Always about safety with the DVSA.

I can foresee candidates not bothering attempting it and taking the driving fault rather than risking a serious or dangerous groping around for a switch/button.

RiK

Postby RiK » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:03 pm

crr003 wrote:I can foresee candidates not bothering attempting it and taking the driving fault rather than risking a serious or dangerous groping around for a switch/button.

It's not exactly rocket science for them to familiarise themselves with the appropriate controls in advance of the test though is it..
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:04 pm

RiK wrote:
crr003 wrote:I can foresee candidates not bothering attempting it and taking the driving fault rather than risking a serious or dangerous groping around for a switch/button.

It's not exactly rocket science for them to familiarise themselves with the appropriate controls in advance of the test though is it..

Although half of those mentioned will now be "auto" on many cars (climate/lights/wipers) and rear wiper may not even be fitted (let's not worry about the likelyhood of a candidate being in a Caterham and being asked about the side windows... :lol: )

crr003

Postby crr003 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:19 pm

sussex2 wrote:I remember on my ADI test a long time ago I was asked to 'turn the car around using forward and reverse gears' in a fairly wide road.
The examiner gave me a slightly old fashioned look; he just didn't seem to expect anything out of the ordinary.
I'm pleased to see the L Test becoming more intelligent and more in pace with the times.
ps This was in the days when examiners often sported moustaches and sheepskin coats :)

Wouldn't work these days:
DVSA wrote:The candidate should be asked to try to avoid touching the kerb during the manoeuvre. If the candidate starts by reversing, they should be stopped and reminded that the first part of the turn should be carried out in forward gear. The candidate should show proper care for the safety of other road users while turning.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:09 pm

crr003 wrote:Wouldn't work these days:
DVSA wrote:The candidate should be asked to try to avoid touching the kerb during the manoeuvre. If the candidate starts by reversing, they should be stopped and reminded that the first part of the turn should be carried out in forward gear. The candidate should show proper care for the safety of other road users while turning.

Hand brake turn then :steering: :lol:

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:12 am

jont- wrote:
crr003 wrote:Wouldn't work these days:

Hand brake turn then :steering: :lol:

I was told to drive as I would normally, so off I went around Eastbourne; by the end I was glad to be rid of the smell of stale tobacco. It's funny how some things linger with you over the years.

Return to “In The News”