Anyone resigning from IAM now?

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
Horse

Anyone resigning from IAM now?

Postby Horse » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:46 pm

Sarah Sillars, IAM Chief Executive Officer, said: “We can see from these figures that as the UK comes out of recession traffic levels have risen, speeding appears to be becoming more prevalent and regrettably casualties are rising again. The government and police forces cannot afford to take their eye off the ball and more visible policing is, in our view, the key way to ensure that people don’t think they can get away with speeding.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Faboka

Re: Anyone resigning from IAM now?

Postby Faboka » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:50 pm

Can't say I really follow IAM anymore.
John

Carbon Based

Postby Carbon Based » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:25 pm

No, but I've preferred Edmund King's recent statements around road safety to those of Sarah Sillars.
(and have failed to find anything worth quoting right now :( )

Playtent

Postby Playtent » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:44 pm

The Police haven't got the staff to go to crimes in action, traffic depts are getting cut and there's another 20% to come and she thinks more visible policing is on the cards!

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:13 am

At work yesterday I was talking to a close protection police officer, who was on loan from Sussex, and he was saying that when he first joined the Sussex Police they had dozens of traffic centres but now they have been cut back to only two and they just can't cover the ground.

Playtent

Postby Playtent » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:27 am

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/n ... _economy_/

Brake are on the case! They'd rather people get stopped for speeding than have a Police officer turn up when someone is robbing your family.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:22 am

I wonder if Sarah Sillars used the 2014 road casualty figures as a basis for the comment. If that is the case she has, in my opinion, not read the report fully.
I left the IAM many years ago so resigning is not relevant. I can say that I wouldn't consider joining the organisation again.

ChristianAB

Postby ChristianAB » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:19 am

How about setting up another driving organisation, to take the place of IAM. How hard can it be? (in all seriousness)

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:49 am

ChristianAB wrote:How about setting up another driving organisation, to take the place of IAM. How hard can it be? (in all seriousness)

In all seriousness - incredibly easy (the set up that is)

however also incredibly hard:
- agreeing aims and approach
- getting consensus from those involved
- growing it
- dealing with the politics
- etc.

in driving circles an organisation only need have one member to have a difference of opinion!

I have in the past founded a national charity (motoring related) to act as an umbrella charity across 20+ disparate and tenously linked charities doing the same thing - an interesting process - the biggest difficulty - people, always people - nothing remains simple, everything becomes a marathon of discussion and views, from the exact shade of a colour in the logo to the type face - even if in reality it will make little difference...

if you want to set up a new organisation do - but it will either be just you, or if you have members, you will deal with exactly the same issues - it takes a very strong personality to keep direction fully focused, and that in itself will put others off!

for me hosting a forum like this where I already know the dodgy members (most of them!) and realise that actually they are generally a mature (take that as you will!) bunch means that I can be very laid back about it - it pretty much self governs... but a formal organisation - no thank you!

Alasdair

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:20 pm

akirk wrote: I already know the dodgy members (most of them!)

*Waves* cos you don't :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “In The News”