So how do you cope with these crossings?

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
MichaelAC

Re: So how do you cope with these crossings?

Postby MichaelAC » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:52 am

I don't believe that I could accurately assess the road design risk here without visiting the site and at this point we don't seem to have any information on the actual cause of the incident.

The initial question was how does an advanced driver deal with this crossing. Would an advanced driver not use the I in IPSGA on approach and noting the cycle/footway to the left would already be watching out for the hazard well before turning off the dual carriageway. Then they also see the warning triangle (another hazard warning). So at the approach they have slowed down and will not be at the national speed limit.

Once you know of the potential hazard you will be looking for pedestrians or cyclists and if you are doing this with the sightlines you will see if they are there or not. If they are near the crossing you slow down for that hazard and assess if they will not cross in front of you or not gaining eye contact if possible.

The cyclist or pedestrian appears to have good sightlines and if adhering to the highway code would cross when it was safe.

The crossing may well have been created after cyclists had been hurt attempting to cross the slip exit before any provision was made at all. This may not be a safe crossing but another question worth asking could be 'do we need to be designing our roads for people with poor driving skills or do we need to improve driving skills'.
Last edited by MichaelAC on Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taffy

Postby Taffy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:41 pm

MichaelAC wrote:The crossing may well have been created after cyclists had been hurt attempting to cross the slip exit before any provision was made at all. This may not be a safe crossing but another question worth asking could be 'do we need to be designing our roads for people with poor driving skills or do we need to improve driving skills'.

Does it have to be an either/or?

MichaelAC

Postby MichaelAC » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:46 pm

Probably not but in my view one is more likely to solve the problem than the other.

Return to “In The News”