Driving Theory Test - 20 years old today

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
akirk

Driving Theory Test - 20 years old today

Postby akirk » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:28 pm

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/20-y ... oads-safer

doesn't time fly!

an interesting read - and 15million people seem to have taken the test in 20 years!

Alasdair

WhoseGeneration

Re: Driving Theory Test - 20 years old today

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:31 pm

"ensure safer journeys".
So, why do I, who never had to sit this test, have to make provision for and anticipate the actions of so many?

fungus

Postby fungus » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:05 pm

Many forget what they learn.

I had one pupil who passed her theory test afew days after her seventeenth birthday. When questioned about the meaning of double solid white lines in the centre of the carriageway, she hadn't got a clue. :shock:

Nigel.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:57 am

fungus wrote:Many forget what they learn.

I had one pupil who passed her theory test afew days after her seventeenth birthday. When questioned about the meaning of double solid white lines in the centre of the carriageway, she hadn't got a clue. :shock:

Nigel.

Actually, the vast majority of drivers don't have a clue what double solid white lines down the centre of the road mean.

This thread was shocking, if perhaps not surprising.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:41 am

Some years ago, in the IAM magazine, the chief examiner answered a question submitted by a member: What do the different colours of marker studs on motorways mean?

I think what shocked me more was that he answered it, rather than suggesting that the member should buy a Highway Code.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Silk

Postby Silk » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:47 am

Strangely Brown wrote:
fungus wrote:Many forget what they learn.

Nigel.

Actually, the vast majority of drivers don't have a clue what double solid white lines down the centre of the road mean.

This thread was shocking, if perhaps not surprising.

That forum is full of morons, and best avoided. Even worse, the fact that people feel the need to ask the mods for approval before posting. Just confirms my opinion that the majority of car enthusiasts are clueless when it comes to the most important part - driving.

Silk

Postby Silk » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:56 am

Horse wrote:Some years ago, in the IAM magazine, the chief examiner answered a question submitted by a member: What do the different colours of marker studs on motorways mean?

I think what shocked me more was that he answered it, rather than suggesting that the member should buy a Highway Code.

In all my years of driving, I can't think of a single occasion where it's been helpful to know what the colours mean. I comes under the heading of "bloody obvious" - I don't need a red stud at the edge of the carriageway to tell me it may not be a good idea to cross it. We shouldn't be wasting our time with what amounts to "trivia" at the expense of things that are far more important. IMO, the question should have been ignored and the writer's membership revoked.
:soap:

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:36 am

You missed out the tar and feathers bit and the ritual burning of the flat cap and string-backed driving gloves.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:25 am

Silk wrote:
Horse wrote:Some years ago, in the IAM magazine ...

IMO, the question should have been ignored and the writer's membership revoked.
:soap:

Now I've outed myself as having been an IAM member :shock: :oops: :o :D , the magazine used to provide occasional entertainment in the letters columns. Like the member who'd had an altercation on a roundabout: "I was the advanced driver, I had right of way".

Or the time when they published an article on car theft, including a picture showing the 'most common tools for breaking into cars'. That caused some complaint! That said, if you didn't know what a 'slim jim' was (and for) then you wouldn't have recognised it anyway. Ditto bent wire coat hanger and corkscrew. Didn't have a strip of banda tape though.

There were some good ideas. One member suggested that hazards should flash at a different rate or pattern to indicators, so you'd know the difference if you could only see one side.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Silk

Postby Silk » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:20 pm

Horse wrote:
Silk wrote:
Horse wrote:Some years ago, in the IAM magazine ...

IMO, the question should have been ignored and the writer's membership revoked.

Now I've outed myself as having been an IAM member.

Did they revoke your membership?

Return to “In The News”