What was the speed limit, again?

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
ChristianAB

Re: What was the speed limit, again?

Postby ChristianAB » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:18 pm

Who cares about repeater signs? No one abides by the 20 speed limits near where I live (not even buses), except when they drive by the one speed camera in the area. Let's remove the signs. It's not like it will make any difference whatsoever for most. In truth, most drivers go by the locations of speed cameras regardless.

With fewer signs, those pesky yellow boxes are easier to spot! it's a win-win! After all, when everyone is a criminal, no one is :twisted: .

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:15 pm

Can anyone actually point to the legislation (not some web page or social media article) that actually says councils can ignore what is in TSRGD or the Road Signs Manual regarding repeaters? I've asked several sources and no-one has given me a link or pointed me to a reference.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:54 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Can anyone actually point to the legislation (not some web page or social media article) that actually says councils can ignore what is in TSRGD or the Road Signs Manual regarding repeaters? I've asked several sources and no-one has given me a link or pointed me to a reference.

does it matter? Unless you're prepared to take them on in court, they can do what they like. No different to the DfT telling them how to set speed limits and them doing their own thing :evil: And good luck arguing you shouldn't be given a ticket because they haven't set the limits appropriately.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:08 pm

I wasn't planning on arguing against a speeding ticket any time soon, but since you raise it, signs not being to the requirements laid out in TSRGD and the Road Signs Manual is a very good defence.

I'm interested more in that there are pages and pages of people posting, debating and ranting about this change, along with numerous newspaper articles, yet not one link to anything legal or concrete. TSRGD 2016 still has the requirement for repeaters in it as far as my reading deduces.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

JohnP

Postby JohnP » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:00 pm

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:16 pm

JohnP wrote:http://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/523916/DfT-circular-01-2016.pdf

Hmmm...

In TSRGD 2016 on page 9:

The requirement to place repeater signs has been removed. It is for local
authorities to make sure that restrictions such as speed limits are signed so
that drivers know, and are regularly reminded of, the restriction in place.

I wonder how you make sure that drivers are regularly reminded of the speed limit without the use of repeater signs? :facepalm:

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:03 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:I wonder how you make sure that drivers are regularly reminded of the speed limit without the use of repeater signs? :facepalm:

It could be a public sector make jobs thing. Employ lots of folk to stand on the roadside with "lollipops" showing the limit.

Bumblebee16

Postby Bumblebee16 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:01 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Triquet wrote:All this assumes that your car has Sat Nav (whatever that may be). What about us poor old shed drivers?

A nice cheap TomTom would be perfectly satisfactory, wouldn't it?

But the problem is, having to keep on top of map updates, simply because the powers that be often like to change speed limits, resulting in the satnav displaying incorrect speed limits.

I travel on a road which was 40mph but has recently (18 months ago) been changed to 30mph. Although the speed limit on the sat nav has been updated, the speed camera warning on it advises the driver that there is a speed camera ahead which is set for 40mph.

I do rely on the sat nav information sometimes if I think I have missed a speed limit sign, but I use my roadsense and common sense too.

Return to “In The News”