Leaving your car in gear when parked

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
StressedDave

Re: Leaving your car in gear when parked

Postby StressedDave » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:24 pm

Of course, you don't get to pick which gear you leave the car in. So if you live in San Francisco, I presume there's a lot of U-turning involved.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:38 pm

trashbat wrote:
Mark of the IAM wrote:‘On an uphill incline turn the wheels away from the kerb and leave the vehicle in first gear. Similarly when facing downhill, the vehicle may be left in reverse and the wheels turned towards the kerb.’

My bold. There's no meaningful difference, is there?

I'd do it the other way around. If the car is facing uphill, put the car into reverse, and if it's facing downhill, put it into first.

Basically, put it into whichever gear matches the direction the car would roll in if nothing was stopping it.

I just don't like the idea of an engine being made to turn in the opposite direction it was designed to go.

I have to confess to never bothering to 'kerb' the wheels when on inclines. I probably should though.

Bumblebee16

Postby Bumblebee16 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:25 pm

sussex2 wrote:I angle the wheels on hills and am generally amazed by the lack of this in towns such as Brighton; a town full of steep hills.

I work in Brighton and that's where we have the problem!
Also, my daughter lives on a steep hill in Brighton and her flat was involved in a collision with a runaway car a few years ago:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/9314439. ... ront_wall/

Pyrolol

Postby Pyrolol » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:53 am

jont- wrote:
chriskay wrote:
Mark of the IAM wrote:‘...]and the wheels turned towards the kerb.’

If you fail to do this in San Francisco, you get a ticket. Of course, they have some fearsome hills there.

Presumably you mean in Park though, since most of them are autos?

Yes, people here are very good at steering towards the kerb: where vehicles are parked parallel on the steeper streets I think at least 3/4 cars is steered appropriately. Quite a few of the really steep hills are 90 degree parking anyway (for extra easy door opening / closing... not). I have also heard that the city are very big on parking tickets.

Like some here, I've always gone for the gear of the direction the car will roll for similar engine rotating backwards paranoia.

Astraist

Postby Astraist » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:18 am

I think it's worth a mention that it doesn't take all that much steering for a rolling car to be braked by the kerb.

If anything, turn the wheel too much and it might manage to mount it.

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:56 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:Belt and braces, a backup system is always a good idea.
However, if leaving a car parked up for a long time, in a garage for example and the floor is levelish, I leave in gear without the handbrake applied.

Same here.

One of the arguments used to be that leaving a car parked for long periods with the handbrake firmly applied could cause the handbrake cables to stretch, leading to a need for handbrake adjustment.

I don't know if this is a factor that actually affects many models, but I seem to recall a time when the Citroen Xantia was said to suffer from this problem.

Discov8

Postby Discov8 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:02 pm

I'm not a fan of electronic parking brakes, so I would also leave in gear. Old fashioned cable operated handbrake I've never known a complete failure, stretched cable making the brake less effective, yes. But we should be keeping our vehicles up to scratch. Plus you get that resistance as the cable tensions so you know if you'll need two hands to get the handbrake off after a days rock climbing!!
So on the flat I just use the handbrake, on a steep hill also in gear with wheels turned to the kerb.
Long term parking no hand brake, just gear and chock a wheel if feeling paranoid.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:40 pm

Currently finding 4 axle stands with the wheels off and piled in the corner of the garage is a very effective way to stop the caterham moving :cry:

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:43 pm

Just be grateful that it doesn't need a 'long front'... When Huge rebuilt his the long front started at the rear number plate carrier.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

michael769

Postby michael769 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:16 am

TripleS wrote:I don't know if this is a factor that actually affects many models, but I seem to recall a time when the Citroen Xantia was said to suffer from this problem.

The Xantia's had a different problem, where the handbrake operated the front disc brakes.

The problem was that if the discs were hot enough then when they cooled and contracted the brake could let go.

Return to “In The News”