RoSPA launches website to keep older drivers safe on the roads

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
waremark

Re: RoSPA launches website to keep older drivers safe on the roads

Postby waremark » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:14 pm

It is not too difficult to stick quite closely to a chosen speed using the speedometer. Is choosing to stick to an indicated 33 a problem? Has anyone failed an advanced driving test for that level of excess over a limit?

As an IAM Observer, I tell my Associates that they must practice obeying speed limits accurately if they do not wish to give Examiners an excuse for failing them, but I don't expect that anyone would be failed merely for even repeated examples of an indicated 33 in a 30. I greatly regret the proportion of Associates' focus during their preparation for their advanced test which is required for accurate obedience to the speed limit.

superplum

Postby superplum » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:24 pm

waremark wrote:It is not too difficult to stick quite closely to a chosen speed using the speedometer. Is choosing to stick to an indicated 33 a problem? Has anyone failed an advanced driving test for that level of excess over a limit?

As an IAM Observer, I tell my Associates that they must practice obeying speed limits accurately if they do not wish to give Examiners an excuse for failing them, but I don't expect that anyone would be failed merely for even repeated examples of an indicated 33 in a 30. I greatly regret the proportion of Associates' focus during their preparation for their advanced test which is required for accurate obedience to the speed limit.

Agreed. In this particular instance the "33" was a GPS reading (smartphone) being used because the speedo was obscured to the tutor - the speedo was later seen to be indicating 35. The individual concerned had been training for 10 months and this was a 3rd independent check-ride - the compliance with speed limts was an ongoing observation. As for speeding/failing, we have known of candidates failing for consistently speeding (amongst other things).

fungus

Postby fungus » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:27 pm

I rarely look at the speedometer on my Fiesta but use road and engine noise to determine speed. This becomes necessary when you can't see the speedometer from the passenger seat whilst teaching a learner. They soon get the message when I lean over to look. You can develope this ability when you use the car all day five days a week, although for a deaf person the speedometer and rev counter are a must.

This is a different matter when I drive my wifes Octavia, which, being larger, is more comfortable and there for It's easier to speed. The opposite is true when I drive my daughters Cooper S which is like a go-kart and everything feels faster.

Nigel.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:56 am

It can be a bit of a problem. I have the Saab estate rumbly grumbly 2.2tid automatic and the Saab 2.0 petrol manual. Sitting in the seat they look very similar, so I have to use the speedo very much to check speed. Cannot rely on sound or revs at all.

dave51

Postby dave51 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:34 pm

Going away from the thread a little, but I found on switching to a more powerful automatic version of the same model it was much more difficult to maintain a set speed without reference to the instruments, and in urban situations I prefer to keep all my attention on the road and its surroundings.
I have been looking for some device that would monitor speed against limit to give a back up warning but so far have not found one, except as part of a camera warning device, which I do not want. Perhaps I could get one but delete the cameras?

Carbon Based

Postby Carbon Based » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:58 pm

dave51 wrote:I have been looking for some device that would monitor speed against limit to give a back up warning.

The "old" TomTom UK app on iPhone had audible alerts for camera locations and for straying over the limit. I say "old" because it has just been replaced with TomTom Go which, as a v1 is missing many features of its predecessor.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:05 pm

dave51 wrote:
Horse wrote:
dave51 wrote: I have reached 64 with my faculties largely intact, but I have noticed some deteriorations.

Sadly, it's the things we don't notice which may cause grief - like peripheral vision, which deteriorates unavoidably from 60 onwards

As far as I can determine my peripheral vision is still adequate, but I have read that in all ages peripheral vision is less acute than central (apart from the central blind spot) so I make an effort to properly look, then look again from a slightly different perspective. Fortunately I still have full range of neck movement.

The thing I have noticed is that it does take slightly longer to adjust to a different focus - e.g. returning attention to the front after looking in the mirror. This requires a more methodical approach to maintain adequate coverage.

AFAIK, peripheral vision deteriorates unavoidably, from the outside inwards. Ironically, our joints stiffen meaning it's more difficult to move the head sideways . . .

Then there's the changes to the eyes' lens - again unavoidable, which reduce ability to see in poor light. That means wide 'aperture' so further reduced ability to focus. Then the onset of cataracts . . .

You've mentioned hardening of the lens, hence the need for varifocals/bifocals etc. or just reading glasses for thosewho previously didn't need correction.

Of course, vision's not important, is it? ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:34 pm

Carbon Based wrote:
dave51 wrote:I have been looking for some device that would monitor speed against limit to give a back up warning.

The "old" TomTom UK app on iPhone had audible alerts for camera locations and for straying over the limit. I say "old" because it has just been replaced with TomTom Go which, as a v1 is missing many features of its predecessor.

In TomTom Go go to settings, sounds & warnings, safety warnings. Bottom item on the list "When Speeding" which has the choice of always or never.

waremark

Postby waremark » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:26 pm

dave51 wrote:Going away from the thread a little, but I found on switching to a more powerful automatic version of the same model it was much more difficult to maintain a set speed without reference to the instruments, and in urban situations I prefer to keep all my attention on the road and its surroundings.

Is it so dreadful to include the speedo in an occasional scan?

Do you take advantage of a cruise control?

I have and have had cars with speed limiters but don't choose to use them. These devices do not allow you to exceed the set speed unless you apply a second pressure to the accelerator pedal. It sounds as though this is a feature you should look for on your next car.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:59 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Horse wrote:I think it was Einstein who famously said: "90% of what you see on the Internet is made up".

No, that was Abraham Lincoln.

In Ye Olden Days, the three go-to sources for quotes were The Beatles for a song, The Bard for eloquence and the Pythons for humour.

Now, though, the late Sir Terry Pratchett, with his prodigious output, is a good source for suitable quotes. Including this, which I happened across last night:

"But do we teach?"
"Only if no alternative presents itself"
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “In The News”