RoSPA launches website to keep older drivers safe on the roads

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
dave51

Re: RoSPA launches website to keep older drivers safe on the roads

Postby dave51 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:35 am

jont- wrote: I'm less sure about the latter point. The roads are there to allow people to get from A-B. We have a general problem of de-skilling which means many drivers don't/won't overtake, and don't leave return gaps either. The roads are also much busier, so I think we need a new definition of anti-social speed. If you're doing 35 on an NSL road with a long queue behind you (and conditions are good), you're driving at an anti-social speed. Either learn to drive at a reasonable speed, or get off the roads.

The roads are there for all users, not just car drivers who have a theoretical "right" to travel at 60 on roads that do not have a specific limit. Dog walkers, pedestrians, horse riders, animals and tractor drivers also deserve consideration.
The speed limit is a maximum, not a target, and the slow driver ahead may be aware of some risk you have either not noticed or have ignored. Either way they do have a right to be there.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:09 pm

dave51 wrote:Either way they do have a right to be there.

But they don't have a right to get arsey when overtaken.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

gannet

Postby gannet » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:29 pm

Gareth wrote:
dave51 wrote:Either way they do have a right to be there.

But they don't have a right to get arsey when overtaken.

or a right to obstruct an overtake.

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:04 pm

fungus wrote:
jont- wrote:
Horse wrote:Excellent point. Many people confuse 'good' and 'safe'. Someone can be totally rubbish technique-wise, but as long as they keep within their limits they may be fine. They may leave (or lead) a trail of exasperated and frustrated drivers, but they need to deal with that themselves.

I'm less sure about the latter point. The roads are there to allow people to get from A-B. We have a general problem of de-skilling which means many drivers don't/won't overtake, and don't leave return gaps either. The roads are also much busier, so I think we need a new definition of anti-social speed. If you're doing 35 on an NSL road with a long queue behind you (and conditions are good), you're driving at an anti-social speed. Either learn to drive at a reasonable speed, or get off the roads.

Test fail on a DVSA test. A candidate should demonstrate the ability to drive up to the speed limit if conditions allow, and not inconveience others.

Nigel.

Yes indeed, but I really don't care what speed people drive at on the open road, whether it is well over the limit, or well below it. I also don't care about them being unwilling (or unable) to overtake vehicles in front of them; but I do wish they would leave a return gap to aid overtaking by others.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:27 pm

Leading airman Confucious, he say: "Never take off unless you have somewhere to land".
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:10 pm

Surely, by definition, having somewhere to take off means that you have somewhere to land.

The real wisdom is not proceeding more than half the distance your fuel will take you unless there is somewhere else to land, within range.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:56 pm

Jonquirk wrote:Surely, by definition, having somewhere to take off means that you have somewhere to land.

The real wisdom is not proceeding more than half the distance your fuel will take you unless there is somewhere else to land, within range.

Now tell us how often that compares to overtaking ;)

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:00 pm

Horse wrote:
Jonquirk wrote:Surely, by definition, having somewhere to take off means that you have somewhere to land.

Now tell us how often that compares to overtaking ;)

Well, if you wanted to overtake someone whilst travelling on fumes, you wouldn't want to overtake more than half the vehicle in front in case you suddenly run out 3/4 of the way through the overtake? :mrgreen:

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:01 pm

Horse wrote:Leading airman Confucious, he say: "Never take off unless you have somewhere to land".

I like it.

Superb supposed Confucius (sic) quotes: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/autho ... ucius.html

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:39 pm

waremark wrote:
Horse wrote:Leading airman Confucious, he say: "Never take off unless you have somewhere to land".

I like it.

Superb supposed Confucius (sic) quotes: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/autho ... ucius.html

Good find, with this on that page :)

I think it was Einstein who famously said: "90% of what you see on the Internet is made up".

Return to “In The News”