RoSPA launches website to keep older drivers safe on the roads

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
TheInsanity1234

Re: RoSPA launches website to keep older drivers safe on the roads

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:11 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:You find the time, I'll bring the assessment ...

And there is also the small issue of meeting random strangers off the internet.

I'll finish my exams in June so may be able to do something in July.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:15 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:

Bring a chaperone. If CW gives you a demo they will have to cling to the roof.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:15 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:And there is also the small issue of meeting random strangers off the internet.

Is that 'random' in the conventionally accepted use of the word or 'random' in the current teenage vernacular?

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:54 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:And there is also the small issue of meeting random strangers off the internet.

Is that 'random' in the conventionally accepted use of the word or 'random' in the current teenage vernacular?

Probably the teenage vernacular.

Perhaps saying "an unknown person" is better.

Carbon Based

Postby Carbon Based » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:18 pm

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met.

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:11 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:

Many years ago there was an IAM mailing list - (from the car I had at the time, it must have been between 2000 and 2003). We held an IAM drive day - the first time I met up with random strangers off the internet. I felt very hypocritical - as a parent it was just the sort of thing parents tell their children not to do. Needless to say the day went very well as have the many ADUK/ADH days of more recent years.

A number of us can vouch for Mr C-W. If there was anything bad about the proposal, there would have to be an awful lot of us in on it. I am sure it would be worth your making the time after your exams.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:35 pm

waremark wrote:Many years ago there was an IAM mailing list - (from the car I had at the time, it must have been between 2000 and 2003). We held an IAM drive day - the first time I met up with random strangers off the internet. I felt very hypocritical - as a parent it was just the sort of thing parents tell their children not to do. Needless to say the day went very well as have the many ADUK/ADH days of more recent years.

A number of us can vouch for Mr C-W. If there was anything bad about the proposal, there would have to be an awful lot of us in on it. I am sure it would be worth your making the time after your exams.

I'm not concerned about meeting anybody off here, I shall say!

I've not been subject to grooming or anything of a questionable nature on this website, so no concerns here :P

It's just that my parents, for whatever reason, have decided to raise me in a pretty sheltered way, so I almost never go out by myself, even now. This does mean when I do go out, my parents are often very inquisitive and they dislike me meeting people off the internet. I do have plans to become more active in the world when I've done my exams, and get a job and so on, so hopefully my parents will become more relaxed about me being out by myself!

chriskay

Postby chriskay » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:46 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
It's just that my parents, for whatever reason, have decided to raise me in a pretty sheltered way, so I almost never go out by myself, even now. This does mean when I do go out, my parents are often very inquisitive and they dislike me meeting people off the internet. I do have plans to become more active in the world when I've done my exams, and get a job and so on, so hopefully my parents will become more relaxed about me being out by myself!

You have my sympathy.
Carpe diem

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:25 pm

Horse wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:If the older drivers had taken an AD course and learned how to drive properly they, perhaps, wouldn't have problems for theirselves or others.
As an older driver my problem is driving slow enough to avoid licence endorsement.
Much easier in the old days.

What aspects does AD cover which aren't in 'L' training?

If you are an older driver, what changes are you making to adapt to the inevitable bodily changes the ageing brings? [In context, are you over 60?]

Yup, well over 60.
So, my L tests, motorcycle, examiner on foot and car, a tootle around surburban roads with a brief drive through town.
Back then I did read lots of driving books and Roadcraft but only with the aim of driving fast.
I didn't truly appreciate AD until I signed up to IAM in my 40s.
Bodily changes?, nah, as I said I drive slower, not because of me but the external constraints from the less discretionary enforcement.
Most of my age have not undertaken any more "education" since those simple tests I also undertook.

Return to “In The News”