RoSPA launches website to keep older drivers safe on the roads

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
Jonquirk

Re: RoSPA launches website to keep older drivers safe on the roads

Postby Jonquirk » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:04 pm

Confucius says "Person who cooks carrots and peas in same pot is not to be trusted."

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:33 pm

Horse wrote:I think it was Einstein who famously said: "90% of what you see on the Internet is made up".

No, that was Abraham Lincoln.

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:40 pm

If the older drivers had taken an AD course and learned how to drive properly they, perhaps, wouldn't have problems for theirselves or others.
As an older driver my problem is driving slow enough to avoid licence endorsement.
Much easier in the old days.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:11 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:If the older drivers had taken an AD course and learned how to drive properly they, perhaps, wouldn't have problems for theirselves or others.
As an older driver my problem is driving slow enough to avoid licence endorsement.

What aspects does AD cover which aren't in 'L' training?

If you are an older driver, what changes are you making to adapt to the inevitable bodily changes the ageing brings? [In context, are you over 60?]
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:40 am

Only do a commentary when you are alone in the car. Otherwise your passengers think that Dementia is setting in.

dave51

Postby dave51 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:16 pm

Horse wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:If the older drivers had taken an AD course and learned how to drive properly they, perhaps, wouldn't have problems for theirselves or others.

What aspects does AD cover which aren't in 'L' training?

If you are an older driver, what changes are you making to adapt to the inevitable bodily changes the ageing brings? [In context, are you over 60?]

I have reached 64 with my faculties largely intact, but I have noticed some deteriorations. Out of the car I compensate by being a little more considered in my actions (looking for the next step when descending a ladder, for instance, rather than just trusting it to be there).

In the car I have made similar adjustments, although these owe less to diminished faculties than to an increased awareness of the consequences of either me or someone else getting it wrong.
So I make sure I signal my intentions clearly, look twice at junctions and before a manoeuvre and never assume what the other driver will do, just allow for what they might do. On some roads where there are possibly unseen pedestrians, animals, cyclists or farm machinery I will travel below the speed limit, otherwise I try to stick fairly close to it. This is not a new thing - I have always driven that way, even before the IAM test.
I know I do sometimes cause annoyance to other road users by maintaining what I judge to be a safe speed, or by sticking to the speed limit, but I make no apology for this but if possible I will pull over to let them past.
The longer I go with a clean licence the more I want to keep it.
I agree with Whosegeneration that it can be difficult to stick to the limits - cars are more powerful now than in the old days when the rattles and wheezing engine tended to limit progress.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:39 pm

dave51 wrote: I have reached 64 with my faculties largely intact, but I have noticed some deteriorations.

Sadly, it's the things we don't notice which may cause grief - like peripheral vision, which deteriorates unavoidably from 60 onwards.

dave51 wrote: I agree with Whosegeneration that it can be difficult to stick to the limits - cars are more powerful now than in the old days when the rattles and wheezing engine tended to limit progress.

First bike I did a 'ton' on was a rattling wheezy wobbling Triumph 500, which struggled to achieve it - briefly - on a downhill.

Second was a Honda 400, which just whirred quietly and smoothly . . . no drama, fuss or real excitement . . .
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

superplum

Postby superplum » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:57 pm

dave51 wrote: I agree with Whosegeneration that it can be difficult to stick to the limits - cars are more powerful now than in the old days when the rattles and wheezing engine tended to limit progress.

I disagree with this bit. Provided the car is in the appropriate gear and the driver is concentrating, the car's power cannot be a reason/excuse for not keeping within the limits - the driver is in control. Be pedantic with yourself and ensure you don't speed. I had a classic case just this morning whilst conducting a pre-test refresher drive; "speed limit is 30 and the road is clear" - then why are we doing 33? Not just once but I stopped counting at ten times! There is always info available to help you maintain the correct speed - I often advocate listening to the road noise for changes in tone, notwithstanding surface changes of course. Drivers speed, not cars!
8-)

dave51

Postby dave51 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:23 pm

superplum wrote:

I disagree with this bit. Provided the car is in the appropriate gear and the driver is concentrating, the car's power cannot be a reason/excuse for not keeping within the limits - the driver is in control. Be pedantic with yourself and ensure you don't speed. I had a classic case just this morning whilst conducting a pre-test refresher drive; "speed limit is 30 and the road is clear" - then why are we doing 33? Not just once but I stopped counting at ten times! There is always info available to help you maintain the correct speed - I often advocate listening to the road noise for changes in tone, notwithstanding surface changes of course. Drivers speed, not cars!
8-)

Noted and accepted, but with a modern car at the low end of its performance envelope there is only a very subtle variation in engine or road noise for a given change of speed, particularly with a traditional automatic transmission. Hence the need to rely more on the instruments at a time when attention needs to be focussed outside the car.

dave51

Postby dave51 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:55 pm

Horse wrote:
dave51 wrote: I have reached 64 with my faculties largely intact, but I have noticed some deteriorations.

Sadly, it's the things we don't notice which may cause grief - like peripheral vision, which deteriorates unavoidably from 60 onwards

As far as I can determine my peripheral vision is still adequate, but I have read that in all ages peripheral vision is less acute than central (apart from the central blind spot) so I make an effort to properly look, then look again from a slightly different perspective. Fortunately I still have full range of neck movement.

The thing I have noticed is that it does take slightly longer to adjust to a different focus - e.g. returning attention to the front after looking in the mirror. This requires a more methodical approach to maintain adequate coverage.

Return to “In The News”