Removal of white lines

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
fungus

Re: Removal of white lines

Postby fungus » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:43 pm

Playtent wrote:
akirk wrote:White lines are being removed from busy roads across the country in an attempt to slow motorists down.

am pretty sure that there have been schemes where they have tested removing road signs as well...

Alasdair

Brake have suggested also removing cars from the road as a jolly good safety measure to reduce accidents! Seems logical to me! :lol:

Why not remove everything from the road, then Brake wouldn't need to exist. :lol: :lol: :lol:

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:01 pm

fungus wrote:
Playtent wrote:
Why not remove everything from the road, then Brake wouldn't need to exist. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then they would go after people jogging
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Carbon Based

Postby Carbon Based » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:19 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I can sort of understand it in well-lit urban areas with no requirement for directing the traffic into lanes for different routes, but on a dark, wet rural road surrounded by nasties such as trees and ditches, I find the benefit hard to discern.

Seems many of the trials have been villages rather than the rural, NSL roads or motorways that several of the articles are using as illustrations. It is now TFL bringing it into major but still 30mph urban routes.

Wiltshire County Council stopped repainting some lines when roads were resurfaced between 1997 and 2002. The authority concluded there were safety benefits to removing it on roads with a 30mph or less speed limit.

Seems like a good idea.

waremark

Postby waremark » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:59 am

Edmund King of the AA - who often says sensible things - was commenting on TV tonight. He suggested that it is appropriate in situations where there is a lot of non-motorised traffic and where it is appropriate for speeds to be low, but not on roads which have to carry a lot of motorised traffic at speed. He also said that creating a suitable urban environment could be very expensive - he quoted £40 million for Exhibition Road - and that the Exhibition Road style treatment has some specific adverse effects, as for example making things more difficult for the hard of seeing.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:08 pm

I have to admit, this isn't such a terrible idea.

But only in the urban areas where the speeds need to be low.

If it's on NSL roads then I'm not sure what's the point.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:02 pm

We have a lot of rural NSL roads around here which have no white paint - it is noticeable how drivers are more cautious and slow down when passing - give them a line and they will take the bit of road that is their 'right'! I can see a lot of value...

Alasdair

fungus

Postby fungus » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:11 pm

waremark wrote:Edmund King of the AA - who often says sensible things - was commenting on TV tonight. He suggested that it is appropriate in situations where there is a lot of non-motorised traffic and where it is appropriate for speeds to be low, but not on roads which have to carry a lot of motorised traffic at speed. He also said that creating a suitable urban environment could be very expensive - he quoted £40 million for Exhibition Road - and that the Exhibition Road style treatment has some specific adverse effects, as for example making things more difficult for the hard of seeing.

I walked on Exhibition Road when it was first given this treatment and I have to say I found it a bit diconcerting.

Return to “In The News”