US to invest $4bn in autonomous cars

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
Horse

Re: US to invest $4bn in autonomous cars

Postby Horse » Fri May 20, 2016 6:20 pm

xpc316e wrote:I see autonomous vehicles as a vanity project by makers. They are developing the things, merely because they can and for no better reason. I have yet to meet anybody who has expressed a desire to own one of the things.

Hmmm . . . 'express desire', eh?

http://www.itsinternational.com/categor ... fety-tech/

More than half of UK’s new cars sold with autonomous safety tech

Self driving cars may seem years away, but more than 1.5 million UK motorists a year now leave showrooms in cars featuring self-activating safety systems, according to analysis revealed by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT).

Data from SMMT and JATO Dynamics shows that more than half of new cars registered in 2015 were fitted with safety-enhancing collision warning systems, with other technologies such as adaptive cruise control, autonomous emergency braking and blind spot monitoring also surging in popularity.

Semi-autonomous vehicle technology not only eases the task of driving, but importantly, has the potential to reduce significantly the risk of serious accidents. And it is appearing on increasing numbers of cars being sold today.

Technologies that are rapidly becoming more commonplace include collision warning systems, which monitor the space ahead of the car using radar and cameras to provide obstacle warnings. These were fitted to 58.1 per cent of Britain’s record new car market in 2015 – whether as standard or a cost option. In contrast, just five years ago collision warning featured on only 6.8 per cent of new cars registered.

Autonomous emergency braking, which automatically applies the brakes to avoid or reduce the effects of an impact should the driver fail to react, was fitted to more than 1 million (39 per cent) of all new cars registered, with 18 per cent of buyers getting the safety tech as standard.

Blind spot monitoring was a feature of more than a third of new cars, while adaptive cruise control, which automatically adjusts the car’s speed to maintain a safe distance from vehicles ahead, was fitted to almost a third of new cars registered, either as standard or an option. Just five years ago, less than ten per cent of new cars were available with this technology, says SMMT.

Picking just one: Autonomous emergency braking . . . was fitted to more than 1 million (39 per cent) of all new cars registered, with 18 per cent of buyers getting the safety tech as standard.

So UK drivers (or fleet buyers, etc) choosing to pay more for the technology. Hardly vanity. Perhaps not full autonomous, but perhaps far more integration of technology than many people realise.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri May 20, 2016 9:48 pm

Horse wrote:So UK drivers (or fleet buyers, etc) choosing to pay more for the technology. Hardly vanity. Perhaps not full autonomous, but perhaps far more integration of technology than many people realise.

Really? I suspect they're paying more for other shiny bits and the higher spec models happen to come with all the extra safety gubbins. And as fleet buyers will be ditching the cars at 3 years old, they don't give a shit about long term reliability (or lack thereof).

Someone tell me why all these safety systems aren't required to be warranted for the life of the vehicle? Mechanicals I can understand as they will suffer more or less due to owners abuse - but solid state systems shouldn't. So if manufacturers want to insist in inflicting them on us, why won't they warrant them too? /oh yes, they need to keep selling newer cars to stay in business :roll:

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri May 20, 2016 10:31 pm

Just as my wife's new Yaris is full of infotainment cr*p we never use and have no choice but to have.

As soon as you pick a slightly better trim model all that junk is foisted on you. Having said that, most of he safety stuff is becoming standard. Even motorbikes now have compulsory ABS.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri May 20, 2016 10:45 pm

You didn't read it (even though I highlighted it . . . ), where the percentage of OPTIONS were explained.

And, believe or not, electronics do 'wear out' in various ways (you don't keep anything important on USB memory sticks do you?).

However, be realistic; if you want a lifetime guarantee then, one way or another, you'll have to pay for it. So why not buy the car you want and stick some cash in savings account everymonth. Or buy a Kia for the 7 year warranty. Didn't Volvo do some sort of lifetime warranty?

PS: GTR, you sure about compulsory ABS?

IcedKiwi

Postby IcedKiwi » Sat May 21, 2016 6:12 am

Also windscreen insurance cover now specifically says it doesn't include the recalibration/alignment of camera systems etc in the rear view mirror unit which are used for a lot of active safety features such as lane guidance.

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Sat May 21, 2016 7:26 am

Horse wrote:PS: GTR, you sure about compulsory ABS?

All motorcycles over 125 cc since last year
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat May 21, 2016 9:24 am

I'm aware that electronics can wear out (particularly as the technology moves to smaller geometries), although automotive has much stricter manufacturing criteria than consumer. I still maintain that as a consumer I'd like the choice. If I can have a bulb that wears out yearly, and costs £3 to fix myself, I'd much rather that than one that might last 5 -20 years and costs £200 to replace (and as the car gets past 10 years, are manufacturers going to continue to maintain supply? Generic components like bulbs aren't a problem, but LED clusters may well be).

The highlights still didn't split out whether options were explicitly safety options, or whether they were part of "tech" packs including things like infotainment upgrades, or along with more common sensors such as parking sensors.

AEB is going to be a requirement for 5* NCAP within a couple of years.

An IcedKiwi - yes, my boss has suffered this on his M-class where a replacement screen meant the camera stopped working. I'm not sure if/how he resolved it.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat May 21, 2016 9:45 am

exportmanuk wrote:
Horse wrote:PS: GTR, you sure about compulsory ABS?

All motorcycles over 125 cc since last year

Didn't know that. Ta.

waremark

Postby waremark » Sat May 21, 2016 12:05 pm

I have a 2015 car with all these things. I wanted the top level trim and comfort equipment so I got AEB etc. I switch off the lane departure system and am not bothered by the other bits but would not pay extra for anything beyond ESP and ABS.

In the long term I think autonomous vehicles will meet all transport needs more safely and cost effectively than ones with humans in control. But probably now while I still enjoy driving.

Return to “In The News”