BBC Panorama

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
TheInsanity1234

BBC Panorama

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:52 pm

Hello folks.

Anyone else seen the BBC Panorama episode on the VW scandal. Was out tonight, and really surprised me how they found Vauxhall's 1.6 Ecoflex Zafria couldn't even pass the laboratory test too...

Renewed my curiousity of what our rights are when it comes to our Yeti...

Would it be possible to ask the dealer to just give us a straight swap. Same spec, similar value, but with a petrol in the front. Either that, or give us the £15k we gave them in exchange for the car, and use that on another car?

We love the Yeti, it's a fantastic car, so versatile.

But it's a lot worse on fuel than it should be (struggles to average more than 40ish MPG, against quoted 60 MPG and predicted real-world figures of about 50ish MPG), and I'm finding it surprisingly gutless at times. Although the lack of power in any gear above 3rd doesn't seem to trouble my parents, probably because they're the kind of driver who has never attempted any form of brisk acceleration.

Oh and don't get me started on that horrible dead-zone in the power range below 1500 rpm. Any attempt at any kind of acceleration when the engine speed is below 1500 rpm in any gear above 3rd is met with a horrible vibration and not much else.

It's weird.

The more I drive it, the less enjoyable it is.

And now I'm feeling incredibly guilty for badmouthing the car so much, as it's done nothing to deserve this, but I honestly think it'd be much better off with a petrol engine.

Oh well, I guess I can't do nowt about it as my parents are displaying a marked reluctance to even discuss the subject of the car, and they keep avoiding the subject and changing it less than a minute into me bringing it up.

I'll just have to rant to you folks on here and continue driving the car because I'm in the unfortunate position of not being able to run my own car.

akirk

Re: BBC Panorama

Postby akirk » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:06 pm

I think you would be incredibly lucky...
- If you don't have an affected engine - then no deal
- If you do have an affected engine, then it is likely to be more powerful than had it actually complied with regulations... so all they would do is put it back and make it less powerful...

if it would be better with a petrol engine then you would need to stump up to difference to change - you wouldn't get such a change from VW

Alasdair

Adamxck

Postby Adamxck » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:32 pm

You have no power below 1.5k because the turbo hasnt yet turboed.
Adam.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:18 am

... and you're in the wrong gear ...
Nick

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:28 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:... and you're in the wrong gear ...

Yes. Donkey jacket and wellies are hardly ever appropriate for driving.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:31 am

Strangely Brown wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:... and you're in the wrong gear ...

Yes. Donkey jacket and wellies are hardly ever appropriate for driving.

Seriously, though. Under 1500 rpm and above third gear in a small capacity turbo-diesel... what did you expect? In my Saab you would probably have stalled it.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:20 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:We love the Yeti, it's a fantastic car, so versatile.

But it's a lot worse on fuel than it should be (struggles to average more than 40ish MPG, against quoted 60 MPG and predicted real-world figures of about 50ish MPG)

Quoted 60 mpg is never meant as what you should expect in actual use; it's simply a means for people to compare cars. Predicted fuel consumption relies on too many variables to be of much use.

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Oh and don't get me started on that horrible dead-zone in the power range below 1500 rpm. Any attempt at any kind of acceleration when the engine speed is below 1500 rpm in any gear above 3rd is met with a horrible vibration and not much else.

I've already pointed out that by doing this you're expecting too much of the DMF; avoid below 1500 rpm as much as possible, which means only in 1st and maybe 2nd gear.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:29 am

My SEAT has the afflicted 1.6Td engine. Had a letter weeks ago promising a fix which, I understand, might even involve changing the injectors. Apparently they have a stated aim that fuel economy will not be reduced by any changes.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:35 am

Horse wrote:My SEAT has the afflicted 1.6Td engine. Had a letter weeks ago promising a fix which, I understand, might even involve changing the injectors. Apparently they have a stated aim that fuel economy will not be reduced by any changes.

Is that real world economy, or economy as recorded by the EU tests? :lol:

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:12 pm

;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “In The News”