BBC Panorama

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Re: BBC Panorama

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:15 am

jont- wrote:There's so much variation between vehicles that any suggestion of a fixed relationship between speed and gear is going to be wrong quite a lot of the time.

... and right a surprising amount of the rest of the time ... however much you may object to "rules of thumb" :) - and if you can quote a (manual) car that'll pull strongly in 6th at 30 mph, I look forward to trying it out!
Nick

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:19 am

Mine... but then it has ridiculous gearing - 1500 at 30 in 6th. There's enough in 6th for it to gain speed. It might not win any prizes but it's good enough.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:26 am

StressedDave wrote:Mine... but then it has ridiculous gearing - 1500 at 30 in 6th. There's enough in 6th for it to gain speed. It might not win any prizes but it's good enough.

And the caterham is at 1800rpm in 6th at 30 (I did say it was /really/ short geared).

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:45 am

Ah, the converse of the Elise, then ;) (which "had to be" driven in 2nd at 30 ... )
Nick

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:25 pm

jont- wrote:
StressedDave wrote:Mine... but then it has ridiculous gearing - 1500 at 30 in 6th. There's enough in 6th for it to gain speed. It might not win any prizes but it's good enough.

And the caterham is at 1800rpm in 6th at 30 (I did say it was /really/ short geared).

A pissing content about who is the shortest is not going to end well..... :mrgreen:
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:12 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:If you want to be an advanced driver, learn to love changing gear. If you want an easy life, get an automatic.

I do enjoy changing gear on the way to school when I'm awake. It's a problem on the way back, after a long day. You older chaps may scoff at me moaning about a day that only contains 5 hours 20 minutes of actual work, and usually less due to free lessons where I can relax a bit, but it's hard going, being profoundly deaf and having to rely exclusively on lipreading as none of the teachers are permitted to use sign language.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:... and be thankful that at age 17 you have exclusive use of a nearly new car to take yourself to and from school. Not something that was common when I was at school.

I don't have exclusive use of the car. My parents still have control over it, they just happen to find it more convenient for me to drive myself as it means my mum doesn't need to get up early, and my dad can start work at 8:00 AM and finish at 4:00 PM rather than have to take 2 hours out of his working day every day to do the hour round trip.

Discov8 wrote:Love gear changing, going up and down thru the gears, block changing, matching speed and rpm. Even with the auto I go manual when out of town. Another alternative to an auto for lazy gear changing is a bigger engine that can pull from low rpm. But goodbye to fuel economy.

I do enjoy gear changing. But at the end of a tiring day, it's just yet another thing that you've got to deal with.

Gareth wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:But that's an awful lot of gear changing between 3rd and 4th on a normal country road where your speed varies between 30 and 50.

Cars with diesel engines tend to require more gear changes.

So I've discovered.

Gareth wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:That's spectacularly irritating when I'm aware of the fact a petrol engine probably could handle being in 4th at 30 anyway.

You'd need to compare like for like to see if it's true - that is, a Yeti with the nearest equivalent petrol engine - but you'd probably find fuel consumption is worse, and you might not like the lower amount of torque.

Just how much worse could the 1.2 TSI be? At least I'd have a bigger power-band to deal with so I could leave it in 3rd most of the time.

Let's just summarise, I love the car, it's amazing, but on a cold winter day when I'm tired, it's irritating.
But then so is just about everything else :lol:

fengpo

Postby fengpo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:03 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Gareth wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:That's spectacularly irritating when I'm aware of the fact a petrol engine probably could handle being in 4th at 30 anyway.

You'd need to compare like for like to see if it's true - that is, a Yeti with the nearest equivalent petrol engine - but you'd probably find fuel consumption is worse, and you might not like the lower amount of torque.

Just how much worse could the 1.2 TSI be? At least I'd have a bigger power-band to deal with so I could leave it in 3rd most of the time.

Let's just summarise, I love the car, it's amazing, but on a cold winter day when I'm tired, it's irritating.
But then so is just about everything else :lol:

The 1.2 tsi in my Audi is the engine I have thoroughly enjoyed in all the cars I have had. For it's size it's a menace, changing gear is also a pleasure. Practice gear changing with rev matching, it makes gear changing a fun game. I don't do automatics I had an auto Pug not for me.
Last edited by Mr Cholmondeley-Warner on Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix quote markers

waremark

Postby waremark » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:23 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
jont- wrote:There's so much variation between vehicles that any suggestion of a fixed relationship between speed and gear is going to be wrong quite a lot of the time.

... and right a surprising amount of the rest of the time ... however much you may object to "rules of thumb" :) - and if you can quote a (manual) car that'll pull strongly in 6th at 30 mph, I look forward to trying it out!

You can the next time we attend the same event. 6 litres of V12 manages it quite nicely.

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:12 am

waremark wrote:You can the next time we attend the same event. 6 litres of V12 manages it quite nicely.

Panorama would have a field day with the emissions on that one !

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:10 am

Simple... Just press the Sport button and you can't hear the sound of lentil knitting environistas over the engine.

Return to “In The News”