BBC Panorama

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
chriskay

Re: BBC Panorama

Postby chriskay » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:58 am

Of course, there's always the possibility (if you have the money) of having a car like the one I drove recently, which rev. matches for you on down shifts.
Carpe diem

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:49 pm

waremark wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:But most of my gear-changes are done with a rev-counter, although I can still get probably 7/10 gear changes acceptably smooth in a car without a rev-counter just by timing the gear changes.

Well done. Can you manage that using peripheral vision to see the movement of the rev counter, without taking your eyes off the road? (I often do that).

Nope, still at the stage where if I'm not careful, I'll spend a quarter of a mile staring at the rev-counter waiting for the revs to climb to the appropriate number.

I'm pretty sure the Yeti, being an 'eco' car, dampens the throttle response because it takes an awfully long time to respond when you push your foot down on the accelerator. Even my instructor's Micra had a better throttle response, and that was a 2005 K12 Micra with a 1.0 petrol...

chriskay wrote:Of course, there's always the possibility (if you have the money) of having a car like the one I drove recently, which rev. matches for you on down shifts.

Where's the fun in that? I like a good challenge. Being deaf and attempting to rev-match is quite a good one :lol:

Revian

Postby Revian » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:53 pm

I'm not deaf but at 'normal' speeds there's not much to hear. I go by the rev counters reaction. I.e... Does it bounce or switch straight to another steady value.
Ian

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:21 pm

Revian wrote:I'm not deaf but at 'normal' speeds there's not much to hear. I go by the rev counters reaction. I.e... Does it bounce or switch straight to another steady value.

Well... I wonder if my deafness would be a good excuse to buy myself a convertible...?

"I need the roof down so I can listen to the engine for rev-matching." :mrgreen:

gannet

Postby gannet » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:48 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Revian wrote:I'm not deaf but at 'normal' speeds there's not much to hear. I go by the rev counters reaction. I.e... Does it bounce or switch straight to another steady value.

Well... I wonder if my deafness would be a good excuse to buy myself a convertible...?

"I need the roof down so I can listen to the engine for rev-matching." :mrgreen:

Sounds as good an excuse as any :D

waremark

Postby waremark » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:33 am

chriskay wrote:Of course, there's always the possibility (if you have the money) of having a car like the one I drove recently, which rev. matches for you on down shifts.

Yes. I have been driving my kind son's GT4, a manual car with a switchable auto blip feature. I leave it switched off, but I hate the fact that I know my (quite good) efforts at rev matching are not quite as perfect as the computer operated ones would be if I switched them on. But then where would be the point in having a manual car?

Adamxck

Postby Adamxck » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:26 am

How does it work? Are you on partial throttle, or off it completely? At what point does it blip?
Adam.

waremark

Postby waremark » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:32 am

Adamxck wrote:How does it work? Are you on partial throttle, or off it completely? At what point does it blip?

It blips as you move the gear lever into the new gear. Before that, it would not know which gear you were going to choose and therefore how many revs to blip to. It does this whatever the throttle position and it gives a crisp blip to exactly the right revs for the new gear. The easiest way to use it is to change down off the throttle while slowing. If you want to change down when you are ready to pick up the drive and start to accelerate then you have to choose the correct accelerator position to do so smoothly.

chriskay

Postby chriskay » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:05 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Where's the fun in that? I like a good challenge. Being deaf and attempting to rev-match is quite a good one :lol:

I normally like to try to rev match, but it was a sufficient challenge moving from a car with 160BHP to one with nearer 700 than 600. :o I didn't even find out if that function was switchable or not. :D
Carpe diem

true blue

Postby true blue » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:22 pm

waremark wrote:

Yes. I have been driving my kind son's GT4, a manual car with a switchable auto blip feature. I leave it switched off, but I hate the fact that I know my (quite good) efforts at rev matching are not quite as perfect as the computer operated ones would be if I switched them on. But then where would be the point in having a manual car?

Gratuitous blipping on downchanges? Or can the GT4 be programmed to do that too?

Return to “In The News”