I was just following the satnav...

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
jont-

I was just following the satnav...

Postby jont- » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:23 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cmmgvnnjgq9o
How is that an acceptable response? If it told you to drive over a cliff, would you? (I know that one's been done too :roll: )

Rather than "writing to Apple and Google to ask them to update the maps" why aren't there questions about why drivers are blindy listening to a computer rather than opening their bloody eyes?

Bodes well for more pseudo-autonomous stuff coming on line that isn't ready for mass deployment :soap: :hit:

Horse

Re: I was just following the satnav...

Postby Horse » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:02 pm

jont wrote:Bodes well for more pseudo-autonomous stuff coming on line that isn't ready for mass deployment :soap: :hit:

BBC wrote:A barrier is to be installed at the top of a notorious street in Edinburgh after sat-nav errors repeatedly directed drivers down a set of steps.

Ironically, if the full capabilities of Connected and Autonomous Vehicles are introduced, there should only be a single incident. That information would then be shared across the fleet.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:24 pm

Horse wrote:Ironically, if the full capabilities of Connected and Autonomous Vehicles are introduced, there should only be a single incident. That information would then be shared across the fleet.

Well, the fleet with compatible software, that is still eligible (or paying) for updates, yes :roll:

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:45 pm

jont- wrote:
Horse wrote:Ironically, if the full capabilities of Connected and Autonomous Vehicles are introduced, there should only be a single incident. That information would then be shared across the fleet.

Well, the fleet with compatible software, that is still eligible (or paying) for updates, yes :roll:

That's up to the various providers, of vehicles, services and mapping. And, of course, the usual battles between budgets, profits, and what end users are prepared to pay. Also what onlookers are prepared to put up with.

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:21 pm

Feels a bit like a solution looking for a problem rather than telling folk to use their eyes? (and taking driving licenses away from folk who can't be bothered to do that).

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:33 pm

jont- wrote:Feels a bit like a solution looking for a problem rather than telling folk to use their eyes? (and taking driving licenses away from folk who can't be bothered to do that).

The wider possibilities are almost endless.

Ever hit a pothole? One vehicle hits it, reports it to the system, every vehicle to use that road 'knows' its location.

Same for an obstruction, roadworks, incident, etc.

V2I already happens, it's what E-call is. There are already road surface monitoring systems being developed or in use which use basic in-vehicle movement sensors similar to those in phones.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:37 pm

Horse wrote:
jont wrote:Bodes well for more pseudo-autonomous stuff coming on line that isn't ready for mass deployment :soap: :hit:

BBC wrote:A barrier is to be installed at the top of a notorious street in Edinburgh after sat-nav errors repeatedly directed drivers down a set of steps.

Ironically, if the full capabilities of Connected and Autonomous Vehicles are introduced, there should only be a single incident. That information would then be shared across the fleet.

But if the first vehicle to turn down the steps makes it to the bottom would that confirm that the route is passable and therefore valid?

How would the car know that it was a set of steps rather than just a really bad road surface. :)

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:46 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
Horse wrote:
jont wrote:But if the first vehicle to turn down the steps makes it to the bottom would that confirm that the route is passable and therefore valid?

If it makes it (and doesn't require recovery) then, on a yes/no scale, it was passable.

However, returning to the 'look where you're going' statement.

Have a look here. One road has steps. Does the other?

https://the-ride-info-new.blogspot.com/ ... l.html?m=1

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:59 pm

The first pic looks a bit hairy but there is a, "Caution, Yump!" with some serious air in the second. :)

But seriously, as was drummed into me, "You have to see [all of] it before you can commit to using it."

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:21 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
But seriously, as was drummed into me, "You have to see [all of] it before you can commit to using it."

I would guess almost all drivers don't follow that all the time.

Return to “In The News”