America, land of the...

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Re: America, land of the...

Postby jcochrane » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:01 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:What did you find so unwatchable? Was it the content or the style?

Both. Tired of all this talk about infotainment systems and modern technology in cars. Just new things to learn it is not that difficult , If an oldy like me who has never been taught computers has no problem with it, why do others?

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:40 pm

But the point was not just about infotainment systems in cars rather it was about the amount of distraction that they require or encourage. Touch screens are not just a case of something new to learn. That much is simple when the car is stationary and safe - he makes that point later in the video - but since their use is increasingly required for pretty much any function that is not on the wheel or the stalks they are just plain dangerous to use on the move. At least hard buttons can be used without having to look at them.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:41 pm

No haptic feedback either.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

waremark

Postby waremark » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:40 pm

After a few weeks of ownership I still find it irritating that every time I start my new car I have to go through a process to switch off speed limit warnings and lane keep assist, and then to put a map back on the main screen and choose my preferred settings for other stuff from the myriad choices available.

Controller forwards to bring up a main menu
Touch screen - driving settings/speed limit warnings off/lane keep assist off/confirm
Button for map
M1 on steering wheel for preferred settings

It is ludicrous to have to use the touch screen to change the heated seats setting, but I don't have many other reasons to use the touch screen while on the move.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:34 am

Strangely Brown wrote:But the point was not just about infotainment systems in cars rather it was about the amount of distraction that they require or encourage. Touch screens are not just a case of something new to learn. That much is simple when the car is stationary and safe - he makes that point later in the video - but since their use is increasingly required for pretty much any function that is not on the wheel or the stalks they are just plain dangerous to use on the move. At least hard buttons can be used without having to look at them.

Well I have no problem in my car, despite adverse comments from many car reviews. Although I did have to wade through the 400 plus pages of the manual to find different and easier ways to make some of the changes. Cannot speak for other cars though maybe some are distracting or need your eyes of the road for too long.
btw I have to have a quick look to locate hard buttons.

Return to “In The News”