Tree accident

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
jont-

Tree accident

Postby jont- » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:24 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-o ... e-67885644
"The force has referred itself to the police watchdog as it had received a report about the fallen tree about 90 minutes before the crash."

So why is there anything to refer? Isn't this simply a driving too fast to be able to stop in the distance that could seen to be clear?

Strangely Brown

Re: Tree accident

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:42 pm

Well, you'd like to think that the IOPC would look at the referral and send it straight back. Unfortunately, in modern times it seems that anything that carries even the most remote possibility that someone could lodge a complaint about some perceived action, or lack of, they will cover their arse every time.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:53 pm

I was curious because I've twice been along that road, both times heading east, once driving, the other time navigating. NSL, after sunset, seemingly reasonable road, quite likely raining. Sometimes difficult to spot what you're not expecting.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:37 pm

I know that road quite well, and it’s among roads that I cowardly choose to avoid when possible. Straight enough in places to drive quite fast, but there’s a lot to take in. As it descends into Goring there’s some extreme narrowing at twisty bits, that regularly call for “sudden avoidance action” when faced with less careful oncoming vehicles.

Only really bad thing that ever happened to us in person, further out from Goring, was hitting a nightmare pothole badly enough to bend a wheel. I wasn’t driving, I was just a passenger, but sober and alert and said pothole took me completely by surprise. I’d have hit it too.

Being under control of Oxfordshire’s elected coalition, as an obvious reaction, I expect it’ll now have a 20mph speed limit imposed on its entire length. In fact, all roads within huge radius will become 20 limits, what could be more logical?

Return to “In The News”