Edinburgh pavement parking ban

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
Another Bill

Edinburgh pavement parking ban

Postby Another Bill » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:59 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... e-67381938

I hate to see cars parked partly or wholly on pavements. I don’t think I’ve ever parked in such a way, preferring to walk some distance if necessary to a better parking spot, maybe in a different street. Sometimes it’s just unnecessary and I’ll simply break ranks, parking neatly by the kerb when everybody else is on the pavement.

Some sympathy though to folks who live in truly difficult places, where the the streets are just too narrow, and/or houses too numerous. This seems to include many modern new build estates, by design. Sympathy too for people less able to walk, not all of whom will have blue badges.

Horse

Re: Edinburgh pavement parking ban

Postby Horse » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:30 am

Along our road there used to be grass strips between the pavement and road. At some point, the council removed them and made the pavement wider specifically to facilitate 'two wheels on' parking.

However, another issue is overgrown gardens taking up pavement width. In one case a fairly substantial tree.

Link to large image for detail.
Tree nearest drops squidgy fruit every year.
Further one is almost impassable if a car is parked alongside (green car is next garden along).
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/i ... 093548.jpg
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:30 am

Walking home from the railway station yesterday, I encountered some large a-frane signs warning of roadworks up ahead. The signs were, as usual, placed on the pavement. Since I didn’t fancy climbing a fence on my left, the signs required me to step to the right onto the road to get past. Couldn’t help wondering if that’s really in the spirit of the new “hierarchy” of protecting vulnerable road users, as per highway code etc…

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:07 am

'No' is the simple answer.

If you're concerned enough, contact the council. Also, the name of the company should be visible too.

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:14 pm

Not really concerned, tbh my personal view is that the “hierarchy” is an over simplification of an equation that’s often complicated. Pedestrian traffic is light there (between villages) and I’d imagine that placing the signs on the roadway would be far more likely to contribute to an accident, with badly-driven traffic either hitting the signs, or hitting one another whilst swerving around the signs.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:56 pm

Roadworks planners are supposed to take account if 'VRUs' - vulnerable road users.

Return to “In The News”