latest speed cameras

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
exportmanuk

Re: latest speed cameras

Postby exportmanuk » Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:04 am

Strangely Brown wrote:
The lowest hanging fruit is to stop giving licences back to people who have clearly displayed no appreciation of the privilege. i.e. if someone is banned then make it for a meaningful period and then require an extended test to get it back. Also do not allow people to plead hardship when about to be banned. What's that? You'll lose your job? Tough. Should have thought of that before. Oh, and anyone caught driving while banned goes to prison for at least the duration of their ban and then serves the ban after release. I have never understood the concept of serving sentences concurrently. Multiple infractions means multiple sentences to be served consecutively.

Unfortunately being banned from driving is not a deterrent they still drive :bash:
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:22 pm

exportmanuk wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:
The lowest hanging fruit is to stop giving licences back to people who have clearly displayed no appreciation of the privilege. i.e. if someone is banned then make it for a meaningful period and then require an extended test to get it back. Also do not allow people to plead hardship when about to be banned. What's that? You'll lose your job? Tough. Should have thought of that before. Oh, and anyone caught driving while banned goes to prison for at least the duration of their ban and then serves the ban after release. I have never understood the concept of serving sentences concurrently. Multiple infractions means multiple sentences to be served consecutively.

Unfortunately being banned from driving is not a deterrent they still drive :bash:

I refer the honourable gentleman to the bold section above.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:46 pm

https://www.statista.com/statistics/317 ... and-wales/.

In 2020/21, 24.4 percent of offenders who were released from custody in England and Wales went on to reoffend.

IIRC back in the dark days of the NI Troubles, the IRA kneecapped some driving offenders possibly TWOC) but it didn't stop them.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:11 pm

You are right of course. There is no easy answer and as much as I would like to have Darth Vader like powers to control offenders I am resigned to the fact that I will have to live with simply avoiding them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RiK

Postby RiK » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:24 pm

Case in point, stopped someone recently for no insurance.

They claimed they'd not been in trouble for anything previously.

Ran the licence, and they already had 6 points for no insurance from last November.

Go figure..
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

Return to “In The News”