Driving to the conditions?

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
angus

Driving to the conditions?

Postby angus » Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:43 pm

GTR1400MAN

Re: Driving to the conditions?

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:01 pm

Wow, so what would have been a "safe and reasonable speed"?

I assume this is insurance companies arguing liability as the police haven't prosecuted for anything.

28 wasn't (though not sure how that was proved)
26?
25?
20?
15?
Obviously you'd ease seeing a pedestrian/child approaching a crossing ahead, but what if you couldn't see them due to trees, bushes, signs, barriers?

More info is required. However, it sounds a harsh judgement ... unless the reality is everything suggests she may have been above the 28 she say's she was doing.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

vanman

Postby vanman » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:06 am

Not harsh at all, should drive to the conditions, dark and wet someone near a crossing, ok all be it green. Totally agree with verdict care and attention at all times at whatever speed. :soap: Of course I'm perfect at all times :roll:
It is the same for 40mph limits on country roads that used to be 60, 40 is not necessarily safer one needs to think! some bits good for 80 others 20 a steady 40 will NOT necessarily be safe. :hit:

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:15 am

So what speed would you drive/ride through a crossing on an empty 30mph street?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

vanman

Postby vanman » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:54 am

In the dark and in the wet, not 30 perhaps 25, can't really say depends on conditions and what/who (if I see them) are about. Yes, it could have been me, may have missed the kiddy. What I am getting at is really sometimes 40 is a safe speed (gasp) others 10 isn't. One thing I get associates to do if they are a little over 30 is to look at all the hazards, gateways house paths, turnings, assume the worst. It usually works, better than constantly looking at the speedo.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:57 am

Um. How reasonable is it to slow down for a light controlled crossing when it is at green? I suppose that a child hovering is a hazard but to slow right down is almost an invitation for them to cross ... ouch.

angus

Postby angus » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:48 am

Apart from it being "a dark and rainy morning", we're given no other clues.

What clothing was the child wearing? Was she concentrating on her phone or listening to music? Was the driver keeping with the flow of traffic? Was the car in electric (ie silent) mode? Was there a dashcam to verify the speed?

Personally, I'm wondering if the parents have gone to some "no win no fee" lawyers and struck lucky with an anti motorist judge

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:50 am

My answer is, "It depends...". I was not there so I do not know the actual conditions at the time, neither was the judge so he cannot possibly have known either. There are too many "ifs" and unknowns as to what could or could not be seen to say what was or was not an appropriate speed and that's all before we even start with "well whatabout the responsibility of the pedestrian and the child".

All of these type of questions are pointless because we weren't there and it's all post fact supposition.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:54 am

Triquet wrote:Um. How reasonable is it to slow down for a light controlled crossing when it is at green? I suppose that a child hovering is a hazard

I was told, IIRC when learning to drive, that if I hit a pedestrian on a crossing then it would be assumed that I was at fault unless there's evidence otherwise.

Basic observation links of 'pedestrian near crossing, lights likely to change' and 'green = 'stale', likely to go off'.

Add to that having awareness that a pedestrian is either going to continue along the pavement, or cross.

And further add that any pedestrian - like drivers - can be distracted or make mistakes.

And and and ... factors such as how wide the lane is, for lateral positioning options, and that children have difficulty assessing vehicle speed and distance, and are highly unlikely to understand stopping distances.

Triquet wrote: but to slow right down is almost an invitation for them to cross ... ouch.

Something I call the System Loop

Based on the MSF's Search Predict Act

Include prediction of others' reaction to your intended/planned action, before you do it.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

userLeft1

Postby userLeft1 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:06 pm

2023-07-10.png
Imagine this in the dark but with streetlighting, oncoming vehicles with headlights on and a car around 30 metres in front of you. It is raining. A group of secondary school age children is waiting at the offside bus stop. A child approaches the crossing on the nearside and stops. I'd like to think I would be losing some speed for that. (Edit:- it was raining).

Return to “In The News”