Split from: The most difficult aspect of Advanced Driving - forums

Post here for any improvements, ideas, thoughts you might have.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Re: The most difficult aspect of Advanced Driving

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:04 pm

Gareth wrote:Anyway, this forum, and it's predecessor, really aren't aimed at people who have had a significant amount of professional coaching.

Really? Says who? I'm genuinely surprised and not a little perturbed by this statement. Are you saying as soon as we have some professional coaching we're somehow not entitled to have an opinion, have discussions about our own learning experiences, participate in driving days, etc...? Can you point me to where there's a mission statement on either site that says "this site is for driving novices only"?
Nick

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
Gareth wrote:Anyway, this forum, and it's predecessor, really aren't aimed at people who have had a significant amount of professional coaching.

Really? Says who? I'm genuinely surprised and not a little perturbed by this statement.

All I'm saying is that people who take post-test professional coaching are an infinitesimally small minority of those interested in advanced driving and, broadly, fanatical enthusiasts can find another outlet. I've seen the ADUK forum as the chance to share what I've paid money to learn, and what I've learned subsequently from driving with like-minded individuals, in the hope of sharing my passion with others who, hitherto aren't or weren't quite so interested, with maybe the hope that some will discover they have the same fanatical interest in driving that I have ...
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Rick448

Postby Rick448 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:03 pm

I'd say a fairly high percentage of members here have sought professional coaching or seek to do so. These same was probably true at ADUK. I don't see that it matters whether you have been professionally (or otherwise) coached or not to contribute here.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:50 pm

Really? Says who? I'm genuinely surprised and not a little perturbed by this statement.

Without a majority or readers, and sometime contributors, who are just getting interested in advanced driving or have only been involved with the IAM and/or RoADAR, to varying degrees, all that's left is a core of naval gazing numpties who have endless and excruciatingly detailed arguments into the whichness of why. Not especially edifying, and not very useful.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:58 pm

I liked your previous reply better. Less depressing :D
Nick

Strangely Brown

The most difficult aspect of Advanced Driving

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:08 pm

Gareth wrote:

Without a majority or readers, and sometime contributors, who are just getting interested in advanced driving or have only been involved with the IAM and/or RoADAR, to varying degrees, all that's left is a core of naval gazing numpties who have endless and excruciatingly detailed arguments into the whichness of why. Not especially edifying, and not very useful.

I don't agree. In fact, I would argue that it is the endless going over the same old ground, answering the same old questions and listening to the same old arguments that made ADUK so dull.

Apart from all that, I really don't want to be working for someone else's business without getting paid for it. Like it or not, ADUK contributors are now Rob's product.

Maybe these posts should be moved to the other thread to keep this one clean.

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:08 pm

Rick448 wrote:I'd say a fairly high percentage of members here have sought professional coaching or seek to do so. These same was probably true at ADUK. I don't see that it matters whether you have been professionally (or otherwise) coached or not to contribute here.

Aye, it's a good job too, otherwise I'd be getting the bum's rush PDQ.

Anyhow, nice to see you here, Rick - how's the cat business?

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:19 am

Strangely Brown wrote:I would argue that it is the endless going over the same old ground, answering the same old questions and listening to the same old arguments that made ADUK so dull.

Two thought have I ... how would you ensure the same doesn't happen here, (seems likely given the same people are involved), and presumably it wasn't so dull that you stopped reading and contributing ...

Agree about the separation; presumably you reported yourself :P as I did me on another thread!

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:09 am

Strangely Brown wrote: answering the same old questions

By and large, people don't read FAQs (pronounced "F queue"? ;) ), so it's the way of things that questions recur. Similarly, new members arrive believing the same old misleading tosh so need to be told The One True Way* ;)

* Numerous variations available :lol:
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Rick448

Postby Rick448 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:54 am

TripleS wrote:
Rick448 wrote:I'd say a fairly high percentage of members here have sought professional coaching or seek to do so. These same was probably true at ADUK. I don't see that it matters whether you have been professionally (or otherwise) coached or not to contribute here.

Aye, it's a good job too, otherwise I'd be getting the bum's rush PDQ.

Anyhow, nice to see you here, Rick - how's the cat business?

Hi Dave, good to see you over here too. I no longer have time to breed cats, especially with a 9 month old baby girl :cry:

Return to “This Website”