'Quick Reply' after page selection?

Post here for any improvements, ideas, thoughts you might have.
Gareth

'Quick Reply' after page selection?

Postby Gareth » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:12 am

I'm guessing that on multi-page threads, readers will tend to think they've reached the end of the discussion when the 'Quick Reply' section starts to appear.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

akirk

Re: 'Quick Reply' after page selection?

Postby akirk » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:37 am

It is a risk, though it depends on how people use the forum - a lot of people tend to use the 'Unread' button at the top to see new posts, then click on the button that takes them to the first unread post... they then work through to the end of the thread and reply if they have something to add...

having the quick reply box at the bottom of each page can mean that people reply not having read further points, which can make the reply out of context, however when I did some testing on another forum I sued to run we found that it didn't happen very often, and having a quick reply box actually meant more people joined in the discussion as there was less barrier to adding a comment - and discussion is the life blood of any forum...

there has been a request on here to increase the number of posts per page, so we will look at that, and that could reduce any risk of early answers - but definitely worth considering and keeping an eye on this - thank you

Alasdair

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:37 am

Is it possible to put page selection and next page buttons at the bottom as well as at the top?

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:45 am

waremark wrote:Is it possible to put page selection and next page buttons at the bottom as well as at the top?

They should be - they appear just after the quick reply box...

Alasdair

Revian

Postby Revian » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:41 am

Gareth wrote:I'm guessing that on multi-page threads, readers will tend to think they've reached the end of the discussion when the 'Quick Reply' section starts to appear.

Yes... But I've figured it out now :roll:
Ian

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:10 am

I was thinking I've seen comments added that, I suspect, wouldn't have been added if the reader had read the posts on the next page. Generally because they say the same as has already been said, and somewhat more often than I see on other fora.

The sequence I had initially noticed was when I had read what I thought was to the current end of the discussion, and so had moved on to the next discussion. Agree, it's not a big deal, more of the paper-cut variety.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Return to “This Website”