UK and elsewhere...

Post here for any improvements, ideas, thoughts you might have.
akirk

Re: UK and elsewhere...

Postby akirk » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:32 am

right Horse it sounds as though there is a good article brewing there :) we might set up some forums for other parts of the world and that could make a great bit of content for the North Amercia section!

It would be fab to attract people from all over, and def. good for Google...

Alasdair

EasyShifter

Postby EasyShifter » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:31 am

All sounds good to me. I've only done continental driving for one holiday - Holland and Germany, maybe Belgium - and shan't be doing any more now because of personal circumstances. I didn't really have any problems on that trip, but then, even when I was decades younger and sharp as a tack the idea of driving in France with that 'Priority to the right' business always seemed intimidating.
Before the German holiday I'd really have welcomed an internet forum to consult - trouble was there wasn't even internet in 1984!
Michael

Astraist

Postby Astraist » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:12 pm

I think that in giving room to discussing driving in other countries, there is a discussion to be had about the role of driving in multiple countries (with different driving cultures, state of roads and laws) in shaping and honing one's driving.

Simply put, for an advanced driver, is covering considerable mileage in various parts of the world improving their driving? Does it do more so than just covering the same mileage in one's home country?

I am mainly thinking about driving in places with poor roads and with even poorer drivers - including big parts of Eastern Europe and East and South Asia, parts of Africa, South and Meso-America and even some states in the US - can it help drivers develop a more defensive driving style?

Also, some of on go on about driving in a universal style: You develop a driving style that suits the widest possible range of cars, roads and road conditions - but can a driving style also be universal in being suitable for all kinds of driving cultures? Or maybe we would sometimes actually grind some of our safety margins in the way we drive in another country?

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:55 am

'Simply put, for an advanced driver, is covering considerable mileage in various parts of the world improving their driving? Does it do more so than just covering the same mileage in one's home country?'

I can honestly say that yes it does, without a shadow of a doubt.

Astraist

Postby Astraist » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:53 am

And do you think that the lessons of driving in a country with deplorable driving standards (think PLA) can be superimposed on how you drive in your home country?

Return to “This Website”