New Member up for RoADAR re-test

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
Mogdavid

New Member up for RoADAR re-test

Postby Mogdavid » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:18 pm

Hi all

I was a mainly or completely lurking member of ADUK for years. I haven't been on for some while but have just discovered you here!

As the title says, I'm up for retest and so am doing my usual read around my books and videos and a look on here to brush myself up. Although I'm a member of Manchester RoADAR, I only get to occasional meetings. One of the last I went to was a talk by "Reg Local" a year or more ago. I bought his 2 books and have saved them for just before my retest to get me in the mood, as it were.

I will have a look through recent topics for some inspiration. I don't often have much to contribute but may occasionally write something.

My history includes joining N Devon RoADAR as an Associate in 2002, Silver at first test in 2003 and then Gold since then. I have not had any one-to-one coaching since moving to Cheshire in 2007, other than on test.

I don't count myself as a particularly gifted driver but have learned that, with effort, it is possible to achieve a good standard. When I concentrate and on a good day I can reach the standard required. In the meantime I drive better than before I started, which was my original aim. Also, I have learned that driving can become more interesting by trying to improve skill and safety, rather than increasing speed or taking risks (not that I was a boy racer!).

Anyway, best wishes to all and thank you for your thought provoking conversations.

David (Mogdavid)

Horse

Re: New Member up for RoADAR re-test

Postby Horse » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:38 pm

Hello! :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

hir

Postby hir » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:16 pm

Mogdavid wrote:Hi all

... I went to... a talk by "Reg Local" a year or more ago. I bought his 2 books and have saved them for just before my retest to get me in the mood, as it were.

David (Mogdavid)

Arrange a drive with Reg Local before the test. He’s based near Bolton.

Mogdavid

Postby Mogdavid » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:11 pm

Thanks for your suggestion hir. It sounds great but I won't have time between now and my retest on the 12th.

David/Mogdavid

martine

Postby martine » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:17 am

Welcome David - good to see a new face pop-up. If you have any questions about your retest, just ask - you'll find us a pretty friendly bunch.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Mogdavid

Postby Mogdavid » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:02 pm

Test passed at gold ☺.

I will keep an eye here and must remember that 3 years soon comes around!

Best wishes to all

David/Mogdavid

kfae8959

Postby kfae8959 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:59 pm

I'm interested to read that your previous examiners have given you coaching during your tests. Did you also get coaching from the examiner today, as well as the assessment?

David

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:44 am

Well done!

How do you think things have changed (both your driving and the examiner's expectations) during the intervening three years?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Mogdavid

Postby Mogdavid » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi David

Well, I've certainly had feedback at the end of test, reflected in the comments in the report. My current examiner (this was my 4th test with him) is chatty and will happily discuss driving in quieter parts of the drive.

This time the route included a favourite curvy but flowing C road of his. On this section he gave what, to me, amounted to coaching on how to make the most of it.

I think he starts from the premise that he has seen me demonstrate a good standard of drive and he is generally happy that I'm doing most things right, therefore some discussion of the finer points and passing on a few tips is appropriate. Some of his comments found their way into the debrief and the report, which has just arrived>

Personally, all this feels appropriate and helpful in the circumstances. As I said in an earlier message, I don't consider myself a naturally gifted driver but I have achieved a Gold through training and effort over a number of years. I don't take a Gold pass for granted and am very aware there is plenty more to know.

Rather a wordy attempt to answer your question I fear!

Best wishes

David

Mogdavid

Postby Mogdavid » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:29 pm

Horse wrote:Well done!

How do you think things have changed (both your driving and the examiner's expectations) during the intervening three years?

Hi Horse.

A hard question to answer really. For the most part, I don't think either have changed very much!

My driving standard hasn't changed very much. Mostly I think it depends on how I feel on the day. It is hard to get the balance between being positive, decisive and progressive versus over/under-stretching yourself, getting in a spot or even the fear of making a mistake which could result in a fail or downgrade. The night before, I chose to get an early night rather than burn any midnight oil on reading my books or watching videos (I had done a modest amount of this in preceding days, including one practice drive). Life is busy and I never feel I have done as much preparation as I would ideally like.

To make much more progress, I think I would need some one-to-one coaching and/or to train as an observer/tutor and practise coaching others. Neither of these things are very likely to happen in the near future. Failing this my aim is to try to up my concentration in everyday driving and return to my books and videos more regularly.

I don't feel the examiner's expectations have changed much. I'm not aware of the Test Guidelines having changed much either. In conversation he briefly mentioned some contact with the Regional Senior Examiner, giving the impression that there are opportunities to exchange notes and help towards consistency of marking.

Another rather wordy attempt at an answer.

Best wishes

David

Return to “Introductions”