Roads they been a changin'

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
M1ke H

Re: Roads they been a changin'

Postby M1ke H » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:51 am

Personally, I don't want the car thinking it knows better than me when I want to switch the engine off (or anything else like 'I'll always flash three times if you touch the indicator stalk' etc. I always turn them off or get the turned off/adjusted in the ECU). If I want the engine off, I'll press the button and turn it off!

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:11 am

waremark wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:
THerald wrote:Now days I need to put my car in Neutral to get the Auto Start/Stop to work,

First thing I do after starting the engine is turn this intrusive witchcraft off.

So you carry around expensive heavy hardware and don't use it? I enjoy the silence when it kicks in, and I find ways to start the engine in good time before moving off.

I have no problem either with the technology and like Mark enjoy the quiet. The silence was particularly welcome when I used to commute into central London.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:15 am

How can you put up with it continually going off/on in crawling traffic?

How do you deal with waiting to join a busy high speed RAB or junction?

Or hill starts?

The time taken from foot off brake, or releasing the handbrake, may be quick but feels like an eternity. Then the engine starts and you lurch forward. Horrible. Evil. Waste of time and effort fitting it. My car only has it to get through emissions levels, that's why you can't permanently switch it off and have to do it every time you start the car.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jcochrane

Postby jcochrane » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:35 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:How can you put up with it continually going off/on in crawling traffic?

How do you deal with waiting to join a busy high speed RAB or junction?

Or hill starts?

The time taken from foot off brake, or releasing the handbrake, may be quick but feels like an eternity. Then the engine starts and you lurch forward. Horrible. Evil. Waste of time and effort fitting it. My car only has it to get through emissions levels, that's why you can't permanently switch it off and have to do it every time you start the car.

Maybe yours works differently but in my Peaugeot the engine is reactively the instant the clutch is pressed ie. even before you can select a gear. In fact it fires up so quickly that when it was launched by Peugeot to the dealers they were challenged to beat the restart. Needless to say none of the salesmen could beat it. The restart is so quick you hardly know it has happened and you don’t give it a thought. Having a little more difficulty it getting used to to hill start assist though.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:41 am

Mine's a DCT so it works differently. Releasing the hand or foot brake just prior to pressing the accelerator wakes it up.

I can get my foot from the brake and the accelerator pressed before it has finished starting.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jcochrane

Postby jcochrane » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:31 pm

Doesn’t sound very practical. What are the requirements then to activate the engine stop. Mine has to be handbrake on, in neutral with seat belt on.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:41 pm

To make the engine go off:

Handbrake on and in neutral, or firmly maintaining pressure on the foot brake at a standstill. (Don't know if the seat belt sensor is involved or not)

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:19 pm

I heard an examiner say that a recent associate disabled the stop-start at the start of a test. His attitude was condescending, saying that motorists should embrace new technology.

I think the end point to this will be the end of any form of advanced driving and, given it isn't a safety feature and some implementations aren't as nice as others, that it's unreasonable to hold one view or another when a driver elects to do this.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:25 pm

waremark wrote:I enjoy the silence when it kicks in, and I find ways to start the engine in good time before moving off.

I borrowed a Golf hybrid recently, quite surprising how much road noise you hear when there's no engine to drown it!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:44 pm

Horse wrote:
waremark wrote:I enjoy the silence when it kicks in, and I find ways to start the engine in good time before moving off.

I borrowed a Golf hybrid recently, quite surprising how much road noise you hear when there's no engine to drown it!

It's amazing how much noise tyres and a chain make. ;)

Return to “Introductions”