Well hello from martine

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Re: Well hello from martine

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:08 pm

Welcome!

Revian wrote:... I still kind of hope for reconciliation...

Ye-es, and yet, it's rather nice to have a brand new house, and to be able to choose the furnishings, move things round, think about new plants for the garden, come and go as you please ...

Or to put it another way, there's more freedom here and hopefully a more responsive (in both ways) site and management team (his name's ALASDAIR btw :mrgreen: )
Nick

Revian

Postby Revian » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:30 pm

I confess to the poor error and apologise.... By was of feeble excuse I was on the iPad and couldn't easily 'look back' to check the spelling.... And also didn't believe anyone but one of my grandsons used that spelling... :-)
Ian

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:55 pm

It's OK, revan :P
Nick

Revian

Postby Revian » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:42 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:It's OK, revan :P

Ho Ho ;)
Ian

Faboka

Postby Faboka » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:40 pm

Skoda here :)
John

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:32 am

Revian wrote:Hello...and thanks to Alastair....

I surprised I've not been vetted out... :D

I'll keep both sites in my mind. I still kind of hope for reconciliation...

Ian

Welcome :D
I am used to any spelling of my name, so not too worried!

I think that all most want is for the ADUK approach to continue, for me there are too many warning signs in the new owner of ADUK to want to continue in that location, he doesn't seem to have the same understanding of Advanced Driving that I hold - for him it appears to be fundamentally about training just beyond your learner test - and using that as a channel to sell his business's courses - nothing wrong in that and I have a lot of time for fleet training etc. and to base it on roadcraft principles is great, however that is not all that is AD... as is discussed widely by this group, that is a starter for 10 - to see it as the end goal is to miss so much of what AD is about...

The other side of it is that in his being commercial and wanting the ADUK website to promote his training, ADUK becomes the equivalent of the IAM / RoSPA / etc. - it is no longer impartial - I appreciate that he is saying he doesn't wish to change things, but there is no way that ADUK can continue to be neutral and totally free, it will always be associated with his business, and therefore by implication with that narrow definition of AD... whereas the value of ADUK is freedom to discuss AD in all its elements / from any angle / etc. That can only happen on a platform which has no commercial and no group link...

The new owner has said that he bought ADUK for the google juice (SEO impact) of its front pages, not for the forum - sadly, while that may be true, it has an impact on the forum... if anyone has read the changes he has been making to the other parts of the website, there is a big link at the top saying advanced driving which reads:

We will shortly have more information about our advanced driving courses, which cover all of the UK. Currently you can get a quote from our sister site at http://www.driversdomainuk.com

Benefits of taking an advanced driving course, for business customers:

1. Reduce your accident rate among your drivers
2. Reduce fleet insurance costs
3. Improve driver morale
4. Improved average MPG a cross the fleet
5. Improved company reputation
6. Demonstrating your duty of care

We have seen more and more companies investing in advanced driving courses over the last 5 years, this trend is continued to grow over time.

Is that our definition of AD - is that what ADUK stood for? not in my view...
There isn't a single thing in there about increasing skill or ability...
The only reference to moving the driver forward is in improving their morale...

the reality is that as we all know you can't transform a bored fleet driver into an advanced driver in one half day session - so his offering (cynical, but sadly probably true) is a form ticking / back covering / risk management exercise for the average fleet manager - dressed up as AD to give it value...

that to me is not what ADUK was / is / should be...

so it is not all about Brake, for me it is a wider concern...

Alasdair

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:55 am

You raise a very good point. On other driving course web sites their attached forums do link directly to the web site business. In seems inevitable that in time the same will happen to ADUK even though the owner may say he would not want this.

Revian

Postby Revian » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:33 pm

akirk wrote:
Revian wrote:Hello...and thanks to Alastair....

I surprised I've not been vetted out... :D

I'll keep both sites in my mind. I still kind of hope for reconciliation...

Ian

Welcome :D
I am used to any spelling of my name, so not too worried!

I think that all most want is for the ADUK approach to continue, for me there are too many warning signs....

Alasdair

Sadly I think you look like being right. The 'reconciliation' in my mind was more of a hope that the membership wouldn't splinter. I've only met one member in the flesh but I know that a number do know each other face-to-face. It's only driving 8-) but I have an innate dislike of division. I hope to meet others when it's possible....

In my innocence I did feel the ADUK forum was the attraction that made the website of any real value, driving the traffic to it. I couldn't see what else would be of an use. So I feel somewhat vindicated.... But I might be wrong. It was known once in the 70s I think. :)

Ian
Ian

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:53 pm

I think that there are a number of changes going on over there - for some reason tonight it seems that none of the forum at ADUK is visible unless you are logged in... it will be interesting to see how it plays out, but for me the aim is to have lots available to the public / browser, I have no issue if folks gain advantage without signing up, it is about spreading the message... seems strange to turn that off

Alasdair

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:30 pm

akirk wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:I have a Skoda, a Group N Felicia, sadly sitting rather neglected in the garage.

ooh photos please! sounds rather nice - mine is a boring lease octavia scout in a very bright blue!

Alasdair

I'll have to get the competition ones back from my codriver at the time and scan, then post.

Return to “Introductions”