Getting back in the saddle

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
Taffy

Getting back in the saddle

Postby Taffy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:54 am

Hi. I see some familiar names here from the old IAM forum, so feel at home already.

I had a brain injury/brain surgery a year and a half ago as a result of a fall. I have just had my license back from the DVLA, though have been driving under Section 88 of the RTA for the past year. It's a long way back, and my priorities are now focussed on defensive driving. I'm so glad I was able to drive under Section 88, even though car hire companies and some driving instructors didn't recognise its validity!

I need to go back to basics and re-learn commentary driving. I have seen good training material in the past. Any pointers to very basic, start from scratch material would be great. I will dust off Chris Gilbert's DVDs in the meantime.

RiK

Re: Getting back in the saddle

Postby RiK » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:35 am

Reg Local's Youtube channel has some great content too..

http://www.reglocal.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fDyu ... p-3COgsyRQ
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

Taffy

Postby Taffy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:45 am

Thanks Rik. The book looks like it will be a useful aid to help me get up to speed again, if that is not mixing my metaphors.

martine

Postby martine » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:15 pm

Welcome back Taffy. Forgive me but I don't remember you from earlier posts...how far did you get with advanced driving before your injury?

I'm curious about Section 88...on a cursory glance it looks to me it applies if you have an application pending with the DVLA and are allowed to drive while it's processed - but I'm guessing their must be more to it in your case. What's your understanding of Section 88 and how it applies to your situation?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Taffy

Postby Taffy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:33 pm

Welcome back Taffy. Forgive me but I don't remember you from earlier posts...how far did you get with advanced driving before your injury?

I'm curious about Section 88...on a cursory glance it looks to me it applies if you have an application pending with the DVLA and are allowed to drive while it's processed - but I'm guessing their must be more to it in your case. What's your understanding of Section 88 and how it applies to your situation?

Ah, maybe I was using a different handle. (I only got as far as a simple pass, and started training as an observer.

I don't have the documentation in front of me about Section 88 at the moment, so am going from a faulty memory , but it goes something like this. Section 88 applies if you voluntarily surrender your licence in the event of a notifiable condition which makes you unfit to drive. If your medical team subsequently say you are fit to drive, you may start to drive as soon as you apply for your licence while the DVLA make their medical enquiries, which in my case took them 12 months.

There are conditions, of course. You must have applied for your licence within the previous 12 months. Also, I forget the actual wording, but you must know of no reason why you do not meet the medical requiremenrs for driving.

The secret seems to be voluntarily surrendering your licence when you become not fit to drive. I wasn't in a fit state to understand that when the accident happened, but luckily a family member did the research for me, otherwise I would not have been driving for 18 months.

martine

Postby martine » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:33 pm

Oh I see - thanks Taffy - I think I understand.

Good to hear you're on the mend.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Return to “Introductions”