Greetings from the Shire...

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
RiK

Greetings from the Shire...

Postby RiK » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:59 am

Hi folks,

The name's Rich, and I live in a sleepy little village in Gloucestershire that makes hobbiton look like a bustling g metropolis.

I'm relatively new to the world of advanced driving having joined the Bristol AM group in the new year, though I've been driving (full bike license too) for over 30 years.

Many moons ago I was a techie nerd, worked as a general dogsbody (software developer) in the industrial automation field (i.e. I made robots brains) but about 15 years ago after a serious illness and bit of a near death experience i got out of the rat race to do my own thing. Never looked back :-)

Other than driving, my other interests are fairly diverse, I'm a photographer, a black belt, a keen musician and I've even been known to throw myself out of aeroplanes.

I guess that'll do for an intro. Looking forward to some healthy banter!
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

GTR1400MAN

Re: Greetings from the Shire...

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:17 am

Hi RiK

Welcome to the ADH.

Have you done your Advanced on the bike as well as in the car?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

akirk

Postby akirk » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:45 am

Welcome Rich,
look forward to your involvement

Alasdair

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:11 am

Hello!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

martine

Postby martine » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:20 am

Howdy.

Out of interest, what do you drive/ride?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

M1ke H

Postby M1ke H » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:02 pm

Hi Rich, and greetings from another BAM-er and Cotswoldian. Possibly meet you at a local meeting or at an event some time.

RiK

Postby RiK » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:40 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Have you done your Advanced on the bike as well as in the car?

Neither, yet!

Only joined the Bristol group in the new year, due a pre-test check drive this week so fingers crossed I'll be putting in for my IAM test shortly thereafter. :-)
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:50 pm

Good luck. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

RiK

Postby RiK » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:52 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Good luck. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Cheers.

Been enjoying the driving so far, and my observer (who happens to be the Chief Observer of the Bristol Group) has been pretty positive about my progress to date.
Last edited by RiK on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RiK

Postby RiK » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:52 pm

martine wrote:Out of interest, what do you drive/ride?

A 2017 Dacia Duster like this:

Not going to be breaking any performance records any time soon, but it's a nice drive for sensible money.

Not had a bike for a while now, last one was a Kawasaki ZX-9r same as this:

Getting a bit twitchy in the mid-life crisis stakes so I'll undoubtably end up buying another bike at some point soon. Probably not another projectile like the last few though, more likely go for something entirely different this time round..

Return to “Introductions”