One of the dozen

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
TheInsanity1234

Re: One of the dozen

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon May 02, 2016 6:38 pm

Silk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:Nobody likes Silk... ;)

You're just being silkist. :evil:

It's hard not to like you, despite the name, any interaction with you rarely goes like silk. ;)

ancient

Postby ancient » Tue May 03, 2016 9:20 am

angus wrote:
akirk wrote:
Rolyan wrote:P.S. I like Silk....it's cyclists I don't like!

Do we need a forum on advanced cycling?!

Welcome

Alasdair

Oxymoron?

One would hope it should be, after all such a simple and efficient means of transport should be open to all ages (from 8 to 80+) and abilities. Unfortunately the dominance of the road by motorised vehicles, many of the drivers of which do not pay sufficient attention to the danger they present to vulnerable road users, make the concepts discussed in Cyclecraft (such as using Primary position to control the behaviour of following drivers) pretty essential. The result is that less assertive people are frightened of cycling and the demographic who will ride (whether trained to use Cyclecraft concepts or not - and the provision for training is sadly lacking) are more assertive than average. I guess we get the type of cyclists we deserve.

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Tue May 03, 2016 1:22 pm

Does that include uphillracer who feels the urge to berate other road users rather than getting his head down and getting his ride over with, or the idiot who recently attempted to impede a Police BMW 4x4 by trying to wedge his bike underneath during one of the (more than) slightly anarchic cyclist get togethers?

IME (and we get a lot of mass training runs and competition triathlons around here) there are plenty of cyclists who do not pay sufficient attention to the danger they present to themselves (and arguably to those who are going to impact them). The number that I see who feel that swinging some considerable distance (doesn't affect me as I'm over the other side of the centre markings) to overtake a fellow competitor is quite scary.

I have no complaint whatsoever with positive positioning - it's an essential skill irrespective of whether you're human powered or not.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

ancient

Postby ancient » Tue May 03, 2016 3:54 pm

Yes SD, I think it does.

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Tue May 03, 2016 4:18 pm

Cycling is really just putting one foot in front of the other, but going quicker. Isn't that like running ?

Welcome, BTW, MotorSportsFan.

gannet

Postby gannet » Tue May 03, 2016 8:35 pm

Some of us are cyclists on here ;)

Welcome along :D

ancient

Postby ancient » Wed May 04, 2016 12:02 pm

Apparently some 80% of adult cyclists are motorists (probably a higher proportion if you count only those who cycle for sporting interest); this could explain a lot about the cyclists that people see most of.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sat May 07, 2016 11:58 am

akirk wrote:
Rolyan wrote:P.S. I like Silk....it's cyclists I don't like!

Do we need a forum on advanced cycling?!

Welcome

Alasdair

We need a few lesson on basic cycling where I live :)
Says he as the silly season gets under way.

Imsensible

Postby Imsensible » Sat May 07, 2016 4:11 pm

Actually, there should be a forum where 'advanced' cycling can be discussed seriously. Why can't cyclists want to ride to a high standard, just like advance motorists and bikers? We all share the same roads, most cyclists drive cars too. Discussing cyclecraft with other road users is a good idea, although old prejudices die hard, even with those 'enlightened' individuals on this forum. Especially with Silk ;)

ancient

Postby ancient » Mon May 09, 2016 8:16 am

Imsensible wrote:Actually, there should be a forum where 'advanced' cycling can be discussed seriously. Why can't cyclists want to ride to a high standard, just like advance motorists and bikers? We all share the same roads, most cyclists drive cars too. Discussing cyclecraft with other road users is a good idea, although old prejudices die hard, even with those 'enlightened' individuals on this forum. Especially with Silk ;)

There is a forum where such things are often discussed, over at what used to be the CTC forum (not an official channel to the CTC), since rebadging following a head office takeover and conversion to a charity (sound familiar?) the url is now http://forum.cyclinguk.org/.

Return to “Introductions”